Gamerz

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Stryder, Oct 15, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

So you have a computer, you probably do your work on it, splice video or music, copy things, program things... Even use your keyboard to eat your dinner off of (Most noticable when there are little bits of food trapped between the keys)

But one thing that the Computer has really seem to got the edge on is the Gamez. Without them your children won't have wel defined intellectual traits.

Anyway, the reason for this post is what GAMEZ out there in this world that we call home, do you find amuse you for many hours without becoming monotonously boring?

(that rules out Windows card games that regularly are seen lowering the efficency level of office staff.)

what game has taken you on some twister of a ride, where you just want to keep playing and wouldn't even notice if the house fell down around you? And which platform?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Barney_TRubble Banned Banned

One that has held my attention for approximately two years (or more?) is Unreal tournament - a quake 3 like (but better

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

) first person shooter.

Now, the game itself would rapidly become boring if not for A : online play against other people, and B: organised comps and tournaments involving teams known generally as "clans" or "guilds".

Its like watching a football season unfold, only better because you're involved

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. rde Eukaryotic specimen Registered Senior Member

Red Alert. And don't dis card games; I've spend many an hour playing freecell (albeit on Linux, which means it's not a Windows card game).
    But when Red Alert came out, I spent about a week of bed/Redalert/bed/Redalert/bed, punctuated only occasionally by the sound of the coffee grinder.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Magenta Nihil est incertius volgo Registered Senior Member

Some of the Best Computer games include Quake 3 Arena, Half-Life , Counter Strike ( an addon for Half Life), Red Faction, and Diablo

8. Soupir Registered Member

Ode to Starcraft

No gaming conversation - here, there, anywhere - can be included without at least a passing reference to Starcraft. It was the first truly balanced real-time strategy game, and the world was never the same. Released in 1998 by Blizzard Entertainment, to this day, you can log onto Battle.net almost 4 years later and find more professional players online than any other game.

9. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

I have to admit I 've always been a bit of a sucker for macro-simulation games, but the problem is eventually after many many hours of playing, you build everything within the technology ladder.

This accounts for games like Simcity, Civilisation II, Alpha Centuri, Acendancy, even games like Constructor.

Admittedly Games I could never get the angle on were ones that involved a joypad and high speed precision button pressing (I have this theory that the taller you are, the longer it takes you to push the button, so your timing is always off... resulting in the annoying humilation of getting your butt whipped in Mortal Kombat, Tekken (add a number here) or even the old Street Fighter II.

Many a time has some young scruffy rascal of a kid whipped me into submission within the confines of an arcade. Okay at home you can take it.. it's the on lookers and the realisation that it's going to take an eternity of playing to get the little rapscallion back)

Such games as Quake, Half-life and all First person perspective shoot-em ups.... Well, it can get a bit annoying... Take for instance... the toilet in Goldeneye... don't you just hate it when you get shot.. reappear in the vent shaft, and everyone in the multiplayer makes a beeline for the toilet to stake your exit out.

I couldn't get enough of Grand theft Auto. Although GTA2 had some seriously tough red payphones to deal with... (It's a pitty my machine wasn't nicer or I would of got it on a PC platform to multiplay)

Command and Conquer/Red alert /My missing Tiberium Sun (and the add ons and most recent version) are by far the most played.

Although DARK REIGN II makes use of 3D, and you can change camera angles, and if your machine is at ultra high specs the graphics improve. I had some fun with this, it's far better than it's original Dark Reign counterpart.

DARK COLONY... This game is a few years old, but it's basically a bunch of marines is taking on a GREY alien invasion... and boy do the little suckers scream as you rip into them with a gun.
    (feats blood splatters)

SYNDICATE/SYNDICATE: American Revolt/SYNDICATE WARS....
    This is what I want to see get reborn once more, with yet more style.. The original Syndicate was written purely on the Amiga, and the Second began being written on the Amiga and halfway through they changed their mind and moved it to the PC.

I still love the way in Syndicate wars you can keep Guassing a spot on the map and make a serious dent and the use of the scope rifle always came up with satisfying results.

Commando's... Okay to begin with you pull on your hair... the enemies tend to spot you as you learn the tactics and your mens faces get skulled all too quickly.

GANGSTERS (Message me if you ever want a multiplayer

) I think this game is brilliant... Build up a Mafia, control a section of city, run numbers rackets, and printers you place in the allyway a counterfitting operation, and if your really crafty you get to set up a cat house.

Not to mention the gun battles.. walking into enemy territory with 6 people and opening up with dual pistols and tommy guns, Watch out for the irish police though they tend to get a little upset when a few of their collegues get plugged in the crossfire.

If your really lucky, your extortion racket will last and you'll end up with the mayor on your payroll.

HITMAN: Codename 47
    This was an ultimate in first person (I think MAX PAINE beats it now) Your allowed out of a funny farm.. after being taught how to handle yourself, and get ready for your new line of work.... Your the force behind dealing with problems.... covertly... and pretty much illegally.

Okay some might find sneaking behind a person and grotting them with pianowire some sort of kick, but stripping a dead man of his clothing and dragging him into a dark corner... that's almost queer.

DIABLO I/II
    One is fun in a multiplayer, but II is suppose to be more fun... Pity my system has those BSOD (Blue Screens of Death) at Regular intervals... usually when I'm about to get a really decent item, or just killed a boss.

10. Porfiry Nomad Registered Senior Member

Command&Conquer and Red Alert dominated my gaming life for a good 3-4 years. I still have fond memories of glorious battles of years past. Myth was also a very cool game that was about as strategic as video games got.

But, the best multiplayer strategy game I played was Total Annihilation. I only played a handful of multiplayer matches, but they were epic -- lasting hours each. The maps were HUGE, and it was very easy to ramp up production to insane levels. The result was an almost constant battle that would rage on. There were no decisive moments of victory as in Red Alert (which usually was decided by one skirmish), but rather a slow progression of wearing down the enemy while building up your production. In one game, two players teamed up (secretly) against one other. It still took a good 2 hours to defeat him -- but it was incredibly entertaining and perhaps the most memorable single match I've played).

11. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Listen people, just listen.
    My son, 14 years old, plays all games you mentioned.
    But Unreal Tournament he plays most, with his clan.
    He is on clan base www.clanbase.com

He tells me, to tell you, his clan is called Digital Titans.
    And his nick name is Lock'n Load.
    He is standing here, so that he is sure I am not saying something wrong here.
    He is very good.
    Challenge him, ICQ: 119030747
    He says he is unbeatable in Unreal Tournament.
    Come on, challenge him.
    Please.

12. daktaklakpak God is irrelevant! Registered Senior Member

I have played all the games you guys mentioned. Some of them are really good. However, I think the only type of games that makes me ignore time is the massive multiplayer online roleplaying game(MMORPG), such as Asheron's Call.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2001
  13. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

I sold unreal tournament for 10$ over ebay (crying eyes out), I want it baaaack. I played online once and got my ass kicked because of the lag, but I play broodwar all the time on the net every chance I get.

This guy dropped two heavy support vehicles into an expansion and wiped it out, ten minutes later I launched eight carriers n\into his main base, he quit.

Heh. Starcraft is AWSOME. Imperium Galactica 2 is cool too, but not for multiplayer. Ai is real good in that.

14. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Pity you sold Unreal Tournament
    My son is so good ( so he says himself ), you can not beat him...

Well, sweet 14.
    In stead of sweet 16, for the girls, you see.
    Now he doesn't like me any more.
    I have to hide, I am being hit by my kid....help!
    I am running now, very hard, for my life...
    Bye.

15. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

That's one of the things I can't wait to do. Everyone around me just wants to have sex and neck. Of course I want to do that too, but also want to fall in love, have kids, make movies that are remembered four hundred years from now, campaign to be in congress (as a democrat of course) then be the greatest president the world has ever known, start a politcal house like the kennedies and the bush's only not have them be cursed or next to retarded...

16. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Well Shrike, when you go for president I will be your campaine leader, ok..

You are sure America will do better then, when you are a president?
    What about the pollution and the neglecting of it by bush. You come in again and agree with it?
    I think that is one of the most important questions, because America is world's greatest pollutioner.
    What do you have to say, Mr. President Shrike?
    I rest my case with this only question...
    Lets see what your answer is.
    Bye Mr. President.
    Talk to you later...

17. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

I don't have a plan worked out just yet but I was thinking that I'd give money to companies trying to make solar power and alternative energy without any gasoline involved a large grant, like how Bush had given money to stem cell research, only I'd give more. I'd also discourage car companies from designing more suv's and fuel guzzling cars. Everything is finite. Including oil.

18. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Yeah, a lot of smooth talk, like every presidents candidate...
    But if you really mean it, then lets take you for president and dump bush now, today, somewhere in the bushes, haha.
    Go for it Shrike, against pollution and for Earth. Go Shrike, go...

Why shouldn't you be better then bush?
    Bush is no good, pollutioner...
    Hey Shrike, and all that bombing?
    What about that?
    You go on with that?

19. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

The civilization series has gotten me to spend many an hour and still they are fasinating.

20. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Hello Happy Gamerz...

Are you all afraid to play against a 14 year old?
    Cowards!!!! All of you
    Talk, talk, talk, like chicken in a ren...

Come on, challenge the kid, so at last I do not have to hear any more:
    'I am the best player in U(nreal) T(ournament)..."
    Please, take this young arrogant boy to fall, please.
    He challenges you all.
    Can't you read or really just to cowardish?

He said it, I had to write it down. Now he asks every day if some one of you Gamerz, wants to play against him.
    Come on...

21. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

Does he have Brood War or Starcraft? After I'm finished with him he wouldn't know the difference between his bum and the large mark on one of his cheeks (from me kicking his ass).

22. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Hey Shrike, thank you for taking the challenge from my 'arrogant' litttle boy. (he is a head taller then I am).
    He does have Starcraft, the other game you mentioned, I can't find. I think he doesn't have it.

He is asleep now, but when he wakes up, I will be back here.
    He can reply to you himself then.
    My Mr. I'm the best, yeah, yeah...
    Only 14, and a big mouth, unbelieveble

Play with him Shrike and beat him, haha, nice.
    Then I can laugh all day after he has lost, haha.
    Yes, I know, I am a terrible mother, but I hope you will beat him.
    He is used to UT, he doesn't play Starcraft often, so you can beat him, if you are good.
    Because my son IS good, really, just a little to 'arrogant'.

23. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

Don't worry bansh I'll beat some sense into him-it's the only way us chillins (teens) learn anything. I'm worried about the lag though. Coould be a problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.