Mac/PC Network - PCs Can't Be Pinged

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by goofyfish, Nov 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

Tearing my hair out on this one.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I resolved the problem with 192.168.0.102 - XP's firewall was on. But the problem still lingers with 192.168.0.103. I have run several Spyware/Adware removers and found nothing. No ZoneAlarm, no internet proxies... The machine having a problem can ping itself (127.0.0.1) but I reinstalled TCP/IP in any case with no positive results.

Any thoughts out there?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

All I can suggest is that you make sure that if you are using RESERVED IP's for the XP machines that you make sure that your Subnet Mask is the same (Default is usually 255.255.255.0) I would also suggest checking the MAC Addresses of your adapters if you are using them to assign the Adapter an IP. All you need is a wrong hexidecimal character and your system won't be seen correctly. (That could also be why the adapter doesn't see itself as "Localhost, loopback or IP: 127.0.0.1")

So what I would do is add to your list of info the MAC Addresses for each adapter, and the Subnet mask to work out if their are descrepencies. You've already pointed out the firewall problem that can occur with XP systems (software firewalls should be turned off when debugging a system, and then slowly set to be on but optimised to the system its on)

You should also note that TCP/IP is pretty much the main protocol and most others are just layers that run ontop of it (Like IPX and Netbios/NTBios), this is why it's possible in other network scenarios to have two XP machines ping each other but not able to "share files". (Btw, this is just extra info which probably has nothing to do with your current network settings)

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

Some anti virus software can install a software firewall without your being aware of it. I was having a hell of a time getting my network working again. I was blaming SP2, but after many hours, I discovered that the Trend Micro AV that I installed just to scan a questionable file had installed a firewall as a service without my knowing it. I had disabled the AV on startup with MSConfig, so I forgot about it. I only discovered it when I was checking the Services running in Administrative Tools. I changed that from automatic to manual. I wasted so much time on that!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.