Is this the end of BitTorrent?

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by invert_nexus, Nov 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

File-Sharing Network Thrives Beneath Radar.

So. The MPAA is very likely going to be going after BitTorrent soon. Bastards. Well, it's to be expected.

Cohen, BitTorrent creator, says that his software is ill-suited for illegal activities. And, in the end, is there any software that is not ill-suited? You'd need to completely hide ip addresses somehow. And how do you do that?

One thing about BitTorrent is that it depends on people having full files to share. And it keeps track of how much you have present on your machine. So, you can't just say that you didn't have a complete copy unless you disconnect immediately after finishing, in which case the network would collapse if everyone did that.

Interesting that Suprnova is based in Slovenia. That's Rosa's neck of the woods.

Any comments on this? Scared? I wonder if this will affect the other downloads? Software and music?

Question. Has the MPAA sued anyone over this stuff yet? It's only the RIAA isn't it? Don't seem to recall any MPAA lawsuits.

So, anyway, BitTorrent's time in the sun may be over. Back to IRC.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

I highly doubt it.

There are plenty of non-American pirates. Enough to dilute the crowd they're targetting, and as long as a demand exist you can expect it to have about the same impact as the RIAA efforts...small dent.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. vslayer Registered Senior Member

bittorrent only works with high banwidth, gnutella works much better for me

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Voodoo Child Registered Senior Member

Freenet?

BitTorrent depends upon the seeder having the complete file, and even then, just at the start. As long as a complete file can be obtained from collating the distributed parts you can still dl the file. Since you're uploading parts of the file before you complete the dl, it wouldn't necessarily collapse the system if you disconnected immediately after receiving the dl. Just so long as the dl'ers had a complete file amongst themselves.

8. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

how far has freenet reach, when i tried it years ago it had heavy lag and little usefull info?

if everybody closed there torrent when done, the system will die, sure it can run on incomple torrents for a while but in the end, to many users will have disconnected for the rest to collect a complete file.

9. Voodoo Child Registered Senior Member

Still somewhat crappy, favours anonymity over performance.

It would affect the availibility of rarer files, but some would exist in dynamic perpetuity. To say whether this would actually be sustainable would require some sort of empirical analysis. The original propagation of a file would problematic, though.

10. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

I thought that MPAA and RIAA would be closely related when looking towards such multicomglomorate entities like AOL Time Warner. Since if I'm not mistaken the Warner does also release Audio output like soundtracks, plus if you happen to be connecting to the internet through AOL then you should realise that you are basically allowing them to see what you download (I have long suspected that most of the people caught using Kazaa were AOL users)

11. §outh§tar is feeling caustic Registered Senior Member

The truth is internet download speeds are really not that great for the MPAA to be worried. Only a handful of people have the sort of patience relatively as opposed to downloading a 6 MB mp3 file.

12. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

I know of a college whose entire art program depends on student-pirated software.
    Shite.
    Well, I guess it only means that the prices for that software, movies, and what not have to go down.

13. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

most people around here have broadband or some form of shared connection, there is little waiting, some will even be getting 100mbit soon, Sweden already have some test areas.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.