toggle between open windows on a Mac?

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Hercules Rockefeller, Nov 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hercules Rockefeller Beatings will continue until morale improves. Moderator

I hate Macs with a passion

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

, but I am forced to use them at work. One of the numerous reasons is that it is excruciatingly hard to quickly move between open windows when you have about 6 or more open at once. On a PC you can use the task bar or, even better, the Alt-Tab combination to rapidly cycle between all the open programs/windows. So, my question is….

Do Macs have any equivalent of ‘Alt-Tab’?

Cheers

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. chunkylover58 Make it a ... CHEEEESEburger Registered Senior Member

OS X?

The Dock on the right, bottom, or left will show you applications available on the dock, but will also show open applications (a little black triangle next to the icon for the app.) Click on the icon for the app you want. If you don't see the dock, go to the Apple menu (very top left ... the little apple icon). A pulldown menu will ... uh ... pull down and you can select "Dock" and choose the location and whether or not it's visible at all.

Also, you can hit F9 and all the windows will be reduced in size and spread out on the desktop, each being fully visible at the same time, just in miniature version. Click on the window you want to be maximized.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Hercules Rockefeller Beatings will continue until morale improves. Moderator

Ahhhhhhh, this is the sort of thing I was after!

Excellent. Thanks!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Voodoo Child Registered Senior Member

cmd + tab is it? Key position as in win. Does the alt + tab behaviour. cmd + tab + shift cycles backward like in win.

Command + ` to cycle through windows in an ap.

F9 as Chunky says. I find this to be gay since none of the windows are labelled and you have to play hover search. I hate the OSX GUI. It was designed by fucktards. Curse you, Fucktards. Curse you.

p.s. f10 does the same for aps

8. chunkylover58 Make it a ... CHEEEESEburger Registered Senior Member

The application name is right on top of the window .... granted it's small, and the more apps that are open the smaller it is, but if you mouse over the miniature window, the window turns magenta and its name is displayed in a huge black bar in the middle of it.

Still, the easiest thing, I think, is jut to click the icon right there in the dock.

9. Voodoo Child Registered Senior Member

That's just from the pic of the window. If you open any decent no of windows it becomes unreadable. more hover search. Violates basic usability principles, like the coloured max, min, close buttons. The other annoying thing is that f9,10,11 override program's key assignments.

It doesn't show multiple instances of stuff very well though. And mixing in running programs with other programs is a pain.

10. Hercules Rockefeller Beatings will continue until morale improves. Moderator

Amen brother!

Testify!

Navigating between numerous open wnidows/programs is 100x easier on a PC than a Mac.

11. Voodoo Child Registered Senior Member

Am I wrong, or is everything easier on a PC?

12. chunkylover58 Make it a ... CHEEEESEburger Registered Senior Member

It's just a matter of what you're used to. I find Macs to be infinitely easier to use than PCs. And PCs are pretty easy, anyway. I've pretty much used Macs all of my computing life, so that's what I'm accustomed to.

13. pixel Registered Senior Member

While we're on the subject, is there a way to scroll through open DOCUMENTS (not APPS) in PC? Alt-Tab lets you move through open applications, I know.

14. an>roid.v2 Registered Senior Member

OS X doesn't impose the default F-keys. Just go to the appropriate prefs in the System Preferences to assign your own if you find that a certain app has assigned an equivalent short cut (I use Command+F9 for my Dock 'cuz Photoshop uses Command+Option+D for Feather). Also, with Exposé, you have three behaviours: Show All Apps (in miniature), Show All Windows (of a running application), or Show Desktop. With Tab or the arrow keys you can navigate from one app/window to the next. Hit Return to pin the one you want. There are also hot corners if you like.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.