just a little question about secondary slaves

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Avatar, Nov 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

hi!

Linux is fine, but I terribly need to play some (2) games, but due to reasons too long and complicated to explain it is not possible to install a windows partition on the 2 hard drives that are already plugged in.
    So I thought that I buy a new hd and end all my problems (now that they are so cheap).
    I have two hard drives (primary master & slave) and two cd drives (secondary master & slave), one of which is a burner (2nd master).
    So my idea is to plug out my primary slave hd at the moment and change it to secondary slave and put my primary master as a primary slave and the new hd as the primary master.
    My question is -> will my secondary slave work fine given that it's master is a cd burner? Won't there be any complications?

thanx for your help!

p.s. I'll then have 400gb of hd space... scary

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

:m:

Last edited: Nov 6, 2004
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

I'm not 100% sure since it's been along time since I juggled such a setup.
    What I did instead of doing something like that now was buying a PCI RAID Controller that allowed two more connections to two more sets of drives (2 more masters and 2 more slaves) which could either be run as RAID or run normally.

The controller I picked up was about £15, although you might be able to get cheaper now.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

ok, thanx
    I'll try it with the setup I intend, and if it won't work, I'll buy the pci contrller (ouch for the extra 15 quid)

---
    maybe someone else here has a simmilar setup that I intend and it works?

thanx!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. c20H25N3o Shiny Heart of a Shiny Child Registered Senior Member

As long as the jumpers are set correctly you wont have any problems.

8. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

you could also install linux with lino(or something), on you PM HD leaving room in the begin of the disk for windows, then install windows and there after linux and correct the lilo bootloader.

windows wants to be with in the first 1024 cycles if i remember correctly, linux in my experiance dont give a shit, anyway that way you have both OS on 1 disk.

you could also buy 2 computers or a xbox/ps2 for games, or 3 computer 1 for games 1 as server and 1 as a *nix workstation, or how about the by a disk tray and swap the entire disk at your pleasure.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2004
  9. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

one of the untold reasons is that windows install cd doesn't recognize all my linux partitions and says that the whole hd is one corrupt partition @ 134gb (it is 200gb in reality) I could fix that _maybe_ if I update my bios, but I have destroyed the floppy and any means to put in a new floppy drive.
    p.s. tell about windows hardware friendliness (sneers), Linux has no rpoblems with 200gb and up hdd's and no matter what filesystem partitons you have there.

so with the current situation I can not install or set up a windows partiton on my primary hd without formating it clean ... no way!!

the most sane and also my first thought, but I don't have the resources to allow such a resolution
    about the tray... nah, it takes too much time and effort. I prefer a less physically demanding way out of this (-> Avatar is lazy)

10. curioucity Unbelievable and odd Registered Senior Member

Well, actually, right now I'm putting my HDD as a secondary slave, with the primarys (or masters? can't remember, but they share the same cable, so I guess masters..) being the CD drivers and it works fine, but then again, I'm using XP, not Linux, but does it (the config) matter?

11. Catastrophe Registered Senior Member

C20H25N3O

As a chemist I recognise 9,10-Didehydro-N,N-diethyl-6-methylergoline-8ß-carboxamide.
    Any other isomers?

12. c20H25N3o Shiny Heart of a Shiny Child Registered Senior Member

All tryptamines fascinate me.

http://www.lycaeum.org/books/tihkal/

13. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I have a 300v power box
    will it be enough for a P4 1.8ghz, 3hard drives, Radeon 9000 and a cd drive?

It is enough for the setup of 2 hard drives & 2cd, but I duno about 3hd and 1cd

14. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

i have 5 disks and 1 cdrom running on a 300v PSU, grafik card is a geforce 2 something something mx i think.

when i tried to add a new 250GB disk it could only start if i turned it one 2 time in quick succession, because first time the disk would suck to much power but the second time they where up and spinning so they did not drain so much power, even then the setup was slightly unstable.

15. c20H25N3o Shiny Heart of a Shiny Child Registered Senior Member

Like I said, sort the jumpers out and plug it in. It will be fine.

peace

c20

16. dmcm01 Guest

you are better off having the HD as master and the CD/DVD as Slave...
    this is because the slave slows down to the speed of the master, HD's are much faster than CD/DVD drives, so if you have the fast one as master and the slow one as slave, neither will have to slow down: no performance hit

but i recomend getting a PCI card.....
    to be honest, as for power, i bought a cheap-ass second PSU for about £3 (it claims to be 300W but thats BS) as i found that the exactly fit into two spare CDdrive spaces in the case (with a bit of plyer work) so i have this for the motherbord and fans and the other good one for the drives
    all you have to do to get them both to start up is to take a wire from the green cable to the other green cable (from the motherbord connector) on the second PSU..... works a treat

17. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

hehe homeshow 101, sweet

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.