Question

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Krazie, Nov 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Krazie Registered Senior Member

I have downloaded some programs off of the internet onto my computer. I am about to buy a new computer, and would like to put these programs on the new computer. But I have erased the instal files of the programs. Can I just save the programs onto cd's and the put them on my new computer? Or do I need the install files?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Sometimes it's possible to shift programs across from one system to another just by taking a the folder they were installed to and moving that to another machine however you will need to also get a copy of the registry to move some of the Regkeys to a new machine too.

Some programs store data in the registry without it the program will fail, other programs actually cause alterations to some of the DLL's on the system (Notibly Microsoft programs) so their is no way to tell if your programs will work or not after the transfer.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. §outh§tar is feeling caustic Registered Senior Member

just redownload them if thats basically it and save yourself the hassle. it depends on the programs though and i will say the program will have to be pretty basic for you to transport it that easily.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.