Put my computer in a fridge?

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Krazie, Nov 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Krazie Registered Senior Member

I was wondering, would it be ok to put my computer and stereo in a fridge. These are the only things that I would put in this fridge (no food or drink) and I would keep the fridge not too cold. I keep my house rather warm, and am have a heat problem with my computer and a big heat problem with my stereo receiver. They both get very hot. Has anyone here ever done this?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Krazie Registered Senior Member

I would cut a hole in the back for the wires to come out, and somehow I would make it semi air tight around the cables too keep the cool air in the fridge. Can you put these electronic items in a close to air tight environment like this?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Would have to worry about condensation, I think.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Krazie Registered Senior Member

i didn't think about that one

8. Krazie Registered Senior Member

Damn..... there goes that idea.

9. cato less hate, more science Registered Senior Member

10. dsdsds Valued Senior Member

Excessive condensation would happen only if the fridge door would be opened frequently. I would debate that it would be fine. It gets pretty dry in the fridge. Condensation occures when humid (warm) air contacts a cold surface. (example, inside or warm side of the window has codensation in the winter. The outside surface stays dry.)
    But if you can afford to dedicate a whole fridge, you can modify the fridge so that your front panels of your comp & stereo stick out through the door (for access) so that you would never have to open the door!. Interesting mod.

11. §outh§tar is feeling caustic Registered Senior Member

You could use liquid nitrogen.

12. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Yeah. But even so. I'd be a touch worried. I know that I've seen such things done before so it's not impossible, but I don't think the results would be any better than a water mod or, even better, the liquid nitrogen route.

The thing about the fridge is that it's not very cost efficient. It's cooling too large a space. And, is prone to malfunction. Make sure that the condensor (or whatever it's called) is under the fridge and not above it. I've had fridges that go through defrost cycles and dripped water everywhere. That would be bad.

13. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Answer to that would be to generate a vacuum within the fridge (namely suck the air out of it with a compressor) this would hopefully deal with condensation if you were to attempt to use a fridge for placing a computer in.

It's kind of amusing to think that some of the supercomputers were first dealing with superconduction where certain chemicals were used to maintain their temperatures far below that of 0 deg C. Which is why the quest for semiconduction systems occured and eventually home computers were created. You are kind of doing a full circle with your cooling

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Note that a Fridge will probably house its contents between 1 to 6 deg C, so it doesn't mean you would be able to do anything too radical in the sense of overclocking a 3Ghz system to 6Ghz.

Perhaps you should just look at different cooling methods of each system you want cooled, nowadays their are watercooled units you can get for a processor, heck you could pass that through an Icemaker to cool it further.

14. MRC_Hans Skeptic Registered Senior Member

A normal household fridge does not have the capacity needed to cool a computer, let alone a computer plus a stereo. Normal kitchen fridges have only a cooling capacity of 100-200W.

Unless you live in an unusually hot place (and then you yourself will have heat problems), ventilation is the solution. It is also cheaper. Mount a powerful vent tomewhere to expell air to the outside of the house, and route ducts to the air outlets (make sure it is NOT where the built-in vent tries to suck air IN) of the cabinets. It is important to get the warm air out of the house as you will otherwise just heat up the room.

Hans

15. dsdsds Valued Senior Member

Really? 200W? that's it? I did not realize that. That pretty much kills the fridge idea.

16. MRC_Hans Skeptic Registered Senior Member

Fridges come in different sizes, of course, but all you have to do is look at the back. The power will be listed there. That will be the power it consumes, so allowing for losses, you can expect it to be able to move not much over half that rating. And that's running flat out, so electricity bill issues might come into it, too

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Hans

17. xcaleber Registered Member

18. RubiksMaster Real eyes realize real lies Registered Senior Member

Don't even use the fridge at all. For teh computer, try adding a second case fan. Or your power supply fan could be inefficient. The other case fan could help. Is your processor fan working, and does your processor have a heat sink on it? If not, there is the problem. But you could use a fridge if you really wanted to risk your computer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.