Too SLOW?

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by mountainhare, Nov 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mountainhare Banned Banned

I'm trying to run some old DOS games in Windows XP (Eg. Hexen, Heretic). I have a Pentium 3.2 ghz processor, yet Hexen/Heretic run slow and sluggishly (as if they have a real poor frame rate.)

Also, a lot of old DOS games just won't start up!

Is there any way to get around these problems?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. §outh§tar is feeling caustic Registered Senior Member

Surely your video card can keep up with these system intensive games?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

have you tried running them anywhere else to make sure? Maybe disabling any antivirus programs might help.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

This has been mentioned before about running old games.

If you are running something under 1Ghz then you'll probably be better off getting hold of QUEMM which loads a driver library into about 500Kb since the old DOS systems needed about 480-520Kb free for execution of programs.

Since in this particular instance you're using a 3+Ghz system then try DOSBOX. It's a sourceforge project that allow a DOS emulator to run in a window or full screen on a Windows OS, it also allows the controlling of the speed at which the program runs.

Hope that aids you.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. RubiksMaster Real eyes realize real lies Registered Senior Member

Sometimes fast computers can cause DOS games to run slowly. Try setting the program properties to not detect windows. There is a program called "MoSlo" you could download. It emulates a slower computer and it might work. I have had mixed results.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.