Computer sound problems.

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by dinokg, Oct 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dinokg Registered Senior Member

The sound on my computer stopped and even with a new sound card it stopped again, after working for a few minutes before I had to turn off the computer. So I think its programing rather then the sound cards.

Any thoughts on how to fix it?

For reference I have onbroad sound that has worked for over 2 years and the new card I got is a 24-bit Sound Blaster Live.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Boot your pc with Knoppix and see if the sound still isn't there.
    Thus you'll be able to locate if it is a windows problem or not.
    Maybe some wire is loose or smthing.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

If the problem isn't due to the speakers power being off, or from the cables outside of the computer then the likelihood is usually a Configuration confliction.

For instance if your Modem and your Soundcard share the same IRQ it's possible that using the internet could knock the sound out on the computer.

What you will need to do is attempt to alter your Assign IRQ to make sure there are no conflictions.

Instructions on how to:
    1: If you are using XP as an OS, Right click the "My Computer" icon on your Desktop and select "Properties".

2: Click the "Hardware" Tab then click "Device Manager".

3: This will now allow you to see what hardware exists within your system. Find "Sound, video and Games Controllers" and expand that tree.

You will find amongst the entries an entry to your current card and perhaps even your old card. Make sure the entry that belongs to your old card is removed.

Now you have the decision to make over whether you attempt to reconfigure the IRQ or delete the current sound drivers altogether and reinstall them once more to attempt to fix the problem.

If you want to attempt to fix the IRQ then "right click" the cards entry in the tree, and select "properties". Click the "Resources" tab you should be able to choose another IRQ if your lucky, if it's greyed out then I suggest just removing the device from the listing and attempt to redetect your soundcard.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.