Blocked?

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Closet Philosopher, Oct 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Closet Philosopher Off to Laurentian University Registered Senior Member

At my new school, email is blocked off. Every time I go to email, it says "access denied". They do this to stop people from "wasting their time" on email. My email is my most powerful online tool to run my online buisness, send project info to parters etc....

I used to get around this block be running my email through a remote proxy (ex: doyouhavestairs.com)

They now installed failsafes against this. DO you guys have any ideas on how to access my email from the school computers?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

Well, for a while at my old school, I got around the issue by accessing my stuff through a different port (8082). If your email is based off of webhosting, you can download PuTTy, ssh in and use a text based client such as mutt.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Closet Philosopher Off to Laurentian University Registered Senior Member

I can't install anything (copying to drive C: is blocked).

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

putty can be run off of a floppy.

8. Voodoo Child Registered Senior Member

mail2web.com is a web interface for pop mail

9. vslayer Registered Senior Member

try installing stuff to a network drive, thats what i do when i need to install and the admin is away

10. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

As mentioned previously, If you have an EXE in a ZIP file and you make sure the windows system uses it's own "Compressed Folder" method of accessing it. Windows actually thinks that the EXE is allowed to run at the user level on that system.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2004
  11. river-wind Valued Senior Member

web mail interface ++

Stryderunknown: are you serious!!!??!!

12. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Well kind of, it's dependent upon the installer used (If it asks to run at Admin or not).

It was the way I was able to circumnavigate a block on running Regedit, by placing a copy of Regedit into a zip file and running it from inside the compressed folder. The system then allowed me access to the registery.

Of course note if you're on a system where you don't have the privileges to normally access regedit then you probably shouldn't be doing it.

13. Closet Philosopher Off to Laurentian University Registered Senior Member

I can't access anything...

14. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

so.. why can't you use webmail?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

15. Closet Philosopher Off to Laurentian University Registered Senior Member

Of Course Not

I found the way to beat the system!!!

It's so simple. I installed Firefox off of my network drive, then deleted the evidence once it was installed. Yes, this primitive school still used the shite Internet Explorer

I know for a fact that someone is usin something similar to Norton Ghost to look at what we are on . . . I know the signs because I work where I spy on other people. It's obvious when someone is doing it to you. Anyway, I'm joyfully accessing one fo the most useful tools available to technologically advanced nations. Yay.

16. Nuttyfish Guest

try another, discreetly hidden POP site. www.eyesonff.com has an email service, disguised within the Final Fantasy stuff. Also, it's an excellent site.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.