Internet explorer

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by John Connellan, Oct 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Connellan Valued Senior Member

I'm just wondering, is there any way to save a modern version of Internet explorer to a cd or memory stick so that I may install it on another computer?! it seems that to install internet explorer it has to be over the internet!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

I think you have to download it like you were going to install it, then there should be an option during the install to download everything and save it for later installation.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. John Connellan Valued Senior Member

Unfortunately not. U can only save the setup file for later installation which is not Internet explorer! Setup downloads Internet explorer off the net too!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

In original versions of IE it was just that, what you do is you download that 428kb file it acts as the first step in setting up, then what you have to do is start an install through it. During the install it asks what "add ons" you want to install and even if you want to save the downloaded addon's for later on. This is how you composite what files are necessary otherwise the only other way you could get it (and not pay the $5.00 handling charge) is to look for a computer magazine with it on their cover disc.

Although they are more than likely to have Firefox on there nowadays.

8. John Connellan Valued Senior Member

No when i tried it, the first step after signing the agreement is the download. No other options. U need a connection obviously to do this but I would like to install it whithout a connection for the moment!

9. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Okay a bit of scouting about and I found what you are looking for:
    http://www.broomeman.com/support/wsiedown.html

Which I shall write a brief guide to the forums too, just incase the future of that site is undecided.

1: simply download the IE installer, that first file but save it to somewhere on your disk.

2: copy/ paste this into your RUN box, altering the location of the ie6setup.exe to where you saved it.:

"C:\Downloads\ie6setup.exe" /c:"ie6wzd.exe /d /s:""#E"

Agree to the licensing, choose a folder to save your files too and what OS you are creating it for, then click next. It should then download the Explorer files to your computer which you can then place onto a CD or copy to multiple floppies (or through a network etc) to take to other machines.

10. dsdsds Valued Senior Member

For painfully detailed guide, check this guide.

11. djkmoney Registered Senior Member

or just download opera or something and then go dl ie

12. John Connellan Valued Senior Member

Thanks Stryder, that worked. I now have IE6 for Win 98 on a cd which I hope to bring back to my computer at home this weekend.

13. MagiAwen Registered Senior Member

Huh. Microsoft does let you download complete full versions of all their Internet Suites. I have them all. Usually they are difficult to find, though.

Anyways...glad you found a way to do it

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

14. MagiAwen Registered Senior Member

Booo....nevermind. They changed it. Been a while since I looked I guess foresight is pretty good since I made disks of all of them a year ago when M$ still had them hidden deeply within their developers network.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.