I Wanna Know the Penguin! I Wanna Know the Penguin!

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by TruthSeeker, Oct 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Anyone uses Linux here? Could anyone give me the basics?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

*jumps happily*

I shouldn't have drank that.......

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. testify Look, a puppy! Registered Senior Member

The Linux Documentation Project - http://www.tldp.org/LDP/intro-linux/html/index.html

ALSO

Figure out what flavor of linux you want to use. Most distros have excellent beginner documentation for that specific distro. As a starter distro I would suggest Mandrake since it requires the least amount of console work.

A word of caution though: most people believe that linux will replace their windows machine without having to adjust a bit first. This was certainly not the case with me as I switched from linux and back to windows about 8 times before I realized that I was wasting way too much time on reinstallation. Instead of reformatting every 2 weeks I just purchased a cheapo computer and ran linux on a different computer all together.

I also don't believe in the whole dual boot thing, especially if you've lived off of windows for more than 5 years. You'll end up finding that there's not need to switch back to the linux partition since windows has everything you need...that is unless you do a lot of software development or need to use some software exclusive to linux. If you're serious about linux, put out a few hundred bucks, buy another computer, get it all running, install networking services on them (BIND, Apache, Samba, FTPd) and be happy. Oh, and be sure to update it every once in a while.

Woaahhh I like to go off topic, but I'm sure somebody will find this useful eventually.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2004
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

Two more links you will learn to love:
    http://linuxquestions.org
    http://distrowatch.com

Mandrake is an excellent choice. But if you have a spare computer, and want to jump right in and learn everything, I would recommend hopping right into the deep end(only do this if you're ABSOLUTELY sure). Grab a copy of debian, some BSD variant, slackware or whatever and just fool around.

Another excellent choice is Ubuntu linux. Its new to the scene, and I've grown to love it. You can get the CD's shipped to you, FREE OF CHARGE as part of a promotional offer. Being based off debian, its slick...

http://shipit.ubuntulinux.org/

EDIT to add;
    if you're not absolutely sure you want Ubuntu, don't order the CD's.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. testify Look, a puppy! Registered Senior Member

I ordered like 10 CDs from them...I have yet to recieve. It was on slashdot for a while so I think it might take a good year or so before they even get around to sending them to you. You got yours in yet Xerxes?

Xerxes recommended using a variant of bsd, if you're going to go this direction be advised that the way bsd and the way linux works are quite different. More specifically their filesystems are completely different.

8. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

why did you need 10?

you could just copy it

9. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Thanks for the info

Chill out cool penguins!
    LOL!

10. My Sexy Blue Feet Out sunbaking, leave a msg... Registered Senior Member

Hey, is there a catch with ubuntu????
    I wanna try it, but i get kinda sus about people who give things away for free

11. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

No catch. The founder - some 'shuttlesworth' guy- is a millionaire with good intentions. (first non-american to open up an internet security company)

10 is the default # of cd's. They ask that you give them away, since shipping is much more expensive than creating the cd's (mass production, eh)

testify,
    Haven't recieved them yet, but thats becaused the first 'stable' version was reached only a few days ago. You should be getting yours in a few weeks

As for the BSD thing, I recommend using it as a learning experience, *only*, since its closer to true unix. I hardly notice any differences when switching between solaris, linux and bsd. But you'll certainly learn a lot more trying to install it. Embrace the daemon!

12. testify Look, a puppy! Registered Senior Member

Yeah, I know quite a few people that enjoy trying different linux distros and I'm sure they certainly won't mind me introducing them to a new one (by giving them an official CD). Actually, there may be a big problem if all of those people did the same thing as me and ordered 10 CDs each. hmm I think this whole 10 ubuntu CD thing might be a problem.

13. cardiovascular_tech behind you with a knife Registered Senior Member

no matter what you decide to put on until you get the hang of linux I would setup your computer as a dual boot system with both Linux and windows thats how I have all of my computers setup its pretty easy to do with lots of doc's on the subject, I use Red Hat Linux myself

14. My Sexy Blue Feet Out sunbaking, leave a msg... Registered Senior Member

I just got my ubunto CD's today!!! YAY!!!

Bout bloody time though
    did you's?

15. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I'm still enjoying Mandrake, although there are a few annoyances, but I'm not planning to change the distro. MDK is good for desktop.

Please update on how you like/dislike Ubuntu!

16. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

I absolutely loved ubuntu. Its a great base system with automatic updating and great package management. An excellent alternative to Mandrake.

17. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Soo... why did you revive this thread again?

And what the heck is "ubuntu" and "mandrake"!?!?

18. Xko Registered Senior Member

unbuntu is a linux distro heavily based on the gentoo distro

and mandrake is simply another flavour of linux.

go fedora!

19. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I thought Ubuntu was Debian based (?)

20. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

it is debian based

21. Xko Registered Senior Member

22. My Sexy Blue Feet Out sunbaking, leave a msg... Registered Senior Member

Debian? I'm lost. I'm liking it though. Haven't got it set up on the net yet though, will soon.

23. Closet Philosopher Off to Laurentian University Registered Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.