Forums

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Nuttyfish, Oct 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nuttyfish Guest

How does one spark interest in a forum he/she has set up? Namely this one.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2004
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

Good question, Athelwulf and me, we are still trying to figure it out ourself. Perhaps you just have to post good/interesting things and try to spread the address whichever way possible.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I asked a few friends to put links in their webpages (one is a really big website)
    also some info through mailinglists
    and I "advertise" it through a signature at my uni's forum
    the forum is still alive and kickin after 2 years

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

8. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

people come if its in there interest, all you have to do is figure out what interests and attract people

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. dsdsds Valued Senior Member

I've been thinking of setting up a forum to address specific issues in my community and/or city. I'm even willing to spend a few hundred bucks (not more than a few) buying newspaper ads to advertise my forum. Has anyone or anyone you know done something similar?

10. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

How did you make that forum?
    Is there like a software you use?

11. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

Athelwulf maybe use the site http://www.excoboard.com/, ofcause this idea is only based on the giant banned/image on the top of his forum

otherwise there is good and free forum software out there you can get for free, but need your own site to host

12. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

For my forum I use the open source phpBB software and have my own website with 3gb of space and 25gb bandwidth - 4.99$ american/month

13. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

sweet deal Avatar, but do you use all that space and bandwidth

best i seen here around here is 500mb+unlimited trafic(there proberly is a catch) for rougthly the same

14. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

not really, but it is comforting to know, that I don't have to operate at the limits
    and I host a few pages for my friends

besides it was the cheapest offered package

www.fuitadnet.com
    I pay by visa

15. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

Avatar : are there servers/services any good, im about to change my hosting(the bill falls on the 26) so if they have a good service i might as well take them

hehe, for some reason i just created a paypal account, anybody fells like sending me some money

16. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I haven't had any problems that weren't resolved.
    I host at them from mid May this year (I had another host before that)
    Sometimes the request-for-support tickets are addressed kinda slow (not lately though), but you can almost always catch someone from their staff on IRC or Support chat, and then your issue gets addressed immediately.
    And they have a forum too, so I'd say their support is kinda good.
    If you have any questions related to their service -> ask there.

p.s. I'm quite satisfied with them.
    p.p.s. choose cPanel package if you take their service. It's better than the other.

17. MagiAwen Registered Senior Member

Start getting into search engines by using their free submission forms or go to www.addme.com

I did an experiment last april where I spent four hours for two days submitting to free search engines for a website. It took approximately 6 weeks and the site was getting over 10,000 hits a month...approx 25% of those were returning people.... obviously it died down some but they have about 500 members now that are sustained.

Another way to do it is banner exchange with like sites...there are several banner exchange sites out there that are free. It simply requires you to turn on banner exchange which is usually on most php based sites (or can be an addon). Google for free banner exchange...I don't find it as useful as search engine submission though.

18. MagiAwen Registered Senior Member

Also, people dont want to be on seemily dead forums.

If I were you I would go to any forums that are similar that you are a member of and if they allow it, ask people to register and post a few posts....make sure that you tell them they are not obligated to stay, but you need a favor for site content. That works well also. Usually people will go take a look, register and post at least three posts...prolly not come back again but it drives your membership up and hence people are more likely to stick around or sign up.

19. MagiAwen Registered Senior Member

One more thought..... to spur interest in your local area or cities around you...contact groups whose members may have an interest in your site....such as lan groups, gaming clubs....whatever....a lot of them have newsletters or sites where they will freely link you.

Also, newspapers....most newspapers have some place for community news or happenings that are free....ours it's called facts and fancies..... simple site description and web address usually is good.

Newspapers will also print free Press Releases...you can get samples online of them and make your own...don't make it too long or no one will print it. Make it look professional and not too cheesy. The Microsoft Office template website has some nice examples of press releases. Most papers will print these for free as well as long as they think a portion of their readers will take interest.

20. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

Um . . . Look at the link in my first post in the thread.

16 posts to go! (Ha! That's how old I am!)

21. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

Athelwulf, you should not read what i write, but rather what i intended to write

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.