XM radio hacks

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Krazie, Oct 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Krazie Registered Senior Member

I recently aquired a xm radio reciever. How can I hack it to get free XM radio?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Closet Philosopher Off to Laurentian University Registered Senior Member

Damn, I thought you were going to tell US how to hack one....

I want one but I have to pay for service so.... no.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Krazie Registered Senior Member

I can't seem to find anything of use on the subject. Why is directv possible to hack but not XM? There has to be some way.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cato less hate, more science Registered Senior Member

I am sure there is some way.

most likely you just need to somehow fool it into thinking it has been activated, like satellite tv.
    disclaimer: I personally would not hack it, nor do I condone anyone else hacking it.

8. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

A band of car and computer hobbyists has reconnected the XM Radio broadcasts to PCs, after the satellite radio company discontinued hardware that was being used to copy and archive digital music from the service. The XM satellite radio service is used largely through dedicated hardware, but until last month could be heard on a computer by using hardware that plugged directly into the PC. The company phased that PC link out, in part citing slow demand, after a Canadian programmer wrote software that allowed listeners to record and archive individual songs on a computer as MP3s. Now a small Florida company that makes in-car computer systems has re-created its own version of the hardware, saying its customers want a way to hook their onboard PCs to an XM system. The system may also be plugged back into the TimeTrax radio-recording software, again raising the possibility of pristine digital copying from the satellite service. The developers, at a company called Hybrid Mobile Audio, say they're more interested in giving people flexibility in listening to the XM Radio service, however. "A lot of people in the MP3 car community...wanted XM satellite radio, but don't use normal (radio) units; they use touch-screen computers," said Ben Stahlhood, chief software architect for Hybrid Mobile Solutions. "We decided we could help them work out the problem."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.