DVD computer question

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Tyler, Oct 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tyler Registered Senior Member

Is it in any way possible for me to view a dvd on my computer if it doesn't have a dvd drive? Like can I rip the dvd files onto my computer and convert the video files in any way?

Thanks.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. SKULLZ Banned Banned

You could download dvd files and view them using a software dvd player like windvd.

Only a dvd drive can read dvd files off of a disc though.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. SKULLZ Banned Banned

Considering how cheap a dvd drive is,i fail to see the point

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

8. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

If your video card has video in you can get it directly from a normal DVD player. There might be macrovision problems though.

9. MagiAwen Registered Senior Member

You could copy the dvd to your hdd and convert it.....depending on where you are....in order to play it you may have to burn severaln iso's of it on a cdrw...but some you can run from the comp.

But like Skullz said...how cheap dvd drives are...might as well just get one...I saw one yesterday for like 20 bucks for a dvd rom and I just bought a new dvd player for the home media center for $40.00 so it's not like they are five hundred bucks anymore.

Besides...what fun is it to watch a movie on a computer screen??? That has always escaped me.

10. dsdsds Valued Senior Member

I remember getting flyers at home (only a couple of years ago) having HP DVD recorders going for $800. Incredible.

11. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

Besides...what fun is it to watch a movie on a computer screen??? That has always escaped me.

If you have a great home theatre, you probably wouldn't. But I don't, and my television even died recently. But I do have a 19" monitor, and a surround sound speaker system that includes a 12" Cerwin Vega subwoofer connected to my computer. It is true the movies are a little small, but I'm approximately two feet from the screen, so it doesn't seem bad at all. Rather than buy a television, I just bought a TV card for my PC. I'm always sitting here anyway, my old couch belongs to the cat now.

My PC really has become my all in one entertainment system.

12. Tyler Registered Senior Member

Yeah I think I'll try and buy an external one. And in case you're curious - I want one because I have no tv. I live in a dorm!

13. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

I think the wise purchase at this point would be a DVD burner. You can play CDs, DVDs, burn CDs and DVDs, and use DVD Derypter to save DVDs to your harddrive if you wanted to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.