Radio Station Set up

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by roadblock, Oct 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roadblock Registered Senior Member

Heya!

Umm i live in auckland New Zealand and i wanna start up my own radio station, i know this will cost a bit but i just wanna have one wif a small range to play music to my neighbours and friends who live close. Is this possible? and if so, wat equipment would be needed and how much would this cost? Thanx heaps

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. vslayer Registered Senior Member

its illegal, thats why they spent so much money tracking down radio haorake. but i think you can get away with a 300m radius.
    you will need
    -a standard toy walkie talkie
    -an audio cable to stick into your comp
    -a big transmitter thingy(dick smith has them)

1) strip the not pluggy end of your audio cable and twist those wires onto where the mic used to be in the walkie talkie

2) replace the low frequency transmitter with the big assed one you bought

3) get a fan adaptor cable for your computer and strip the end with the 2 wires coming off(it shoud plug into your ide power cable to replace the battery) and solder those wires to where tho battery would have gone in the walkie talkie. this will provide constant DC power

4)replace the button on the walkie talkie with a switch

5)plug it in and run winamp
    depending on how big your transmitter is the freqeuncy and range will vary

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

I found something thats seems to come from your neck of the woods:
    http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Hall/8701/piralynx.htm

I tried identifying the information on the Broadcast Act in New Zealand but didn't cover too many links, since most just applied to already renouned broadcasting organisations.
    However I suggest it's probably not that different from the one in the UK.

Main point is over here (UK) if you get caught with an Antenna up somewhere broadcasting stuff back to back, they come out cut your antenna down a seize your equipment. However there might be ways of getting a licence if you wanted to cover more distance, or even a better way is just to ask your local council (or what ever they are called in New Zealand) if you could be allowed to run a station for your family and friends, as long as you ask them and of course put forwards the data of your intended setup so they know how much juice it will be kicking out and for what distance they might not have a problem. (Although I'm sure they would suggest keeping certain criminal activities like racism, facism, pro-drug campaigns, anti-government rhetoric and anarchism from the airwaves)

In fact you can just ask people that run such systems, but the real task is to do the ground work yourself just incase someone doesn't know what they are talking about which later causes consequences.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. MagiAwen Registered Senior Member

why not just run an internet radio station? Not sure about the legalities of that where you are. I have seen a lot of people running shoutcast servers and from what I understand it is not that difficult and the software is free...(I think)

A friend of mine in Wales runs one of these...he does shows on the weekends.. Works out pretty cool and we use teamspeak to interview people...and we all make commercials lol Silly but fun.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. vslayer Registered Senior Member

its legal up to 300m radius in NZ. alternatively, you could do what a lot af school radios do and freeload of some stations license(theres some loophole that lets them lend their license to non profit stations)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.