Proactive Solution for Spyware

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by MagiAwen, Oct 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MagiAwen Registered Senior Member

I was involved in a discussion recently with other IT professionals and we did not come to what I felt was a good conclusion on this subject so I thought I would throw it out there.

Now obviously there are all sorts of software solutions out there...Spybot S&D, Ad-Aware, Hijack This, AA Tools, and Plethora of antivirus/antispyware products on and on. In reality they all have their uses, some are better than others, no one is a real solution however. Meaning most all take user intervention for updates and execution, and even if you put them on a task schedule some of them just don't do a great job.

It was suggested that the only "real" solution to technicians not having to constantly be writing exectution scripts into logons, users having to interact or simply wait while all this stuff gets updated and runs was to take away user rights. The most common saying, "They can't write to what they can't access."

This is alright for networked stations that save their documents to shared network drives, but is not a real solution for home and other offices where they may not have a central server.

Certainly educating the users is good, whether in business or in a home setting. But I was wondering if anyone else has thought of other ways of being proactive about this spyware/malware/junkware assault on systems.

FYI: I'm not looking for other spyware products...theories would be perfect.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Ste_harris Net Ninja Registered Senior Member

I hate to quote from a game but that game is Alpha Centauri so I doubt anyone will mind, anyway we probably won't see an end to malicious coding until the advent of pre-sentient algorithms. Anti viral programs that are actually conscious and able to distinguish what the action of every received bit of data will be, and to do deep scanning of it for hidden malicious content. It might bring about a 1984 big brother type scenario where someone can monitor all of your actions, but surely that’s a small price to pay to have a decent up time.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2004
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.