Urgent Circuits help needed

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Truenemo1889, Oct 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Truenemo1889 Registered Senior Member

Hello Everyone,

I have problem with throttle position sensor circuit. The theoretical setup of the circuit is as follows.

Throttle (potentiometer/rheostat) === Analog Digital Converter (with 8 BIT Output) === BDC to 7 segment decoder (7447) === 2 x 7-Segment displays (7730)

The analog digital converter gives me an 8 bit output accoriding to the position of the throttle.

Conditons at specfic positions

Throttle position: open (0 degrees) , rheostat output voltage:0.5 V, Bit pattern:00011010,

Throttle position: halfway open (45 degrees), rheostat output voltage: 2.5 V, bit patten: 10000000

Throttle position: closed (90 degrees), rheostat output voltage: 4.5 V, bit pattern: 11100110

My teacher wants the two 7 segment indicators to say 0 at the open postion

50 at half closed/open postion and about 99 at the closed postion. Anything beyong this interval should give an error message.

How can i achieve this. When i and my classmates tried to connect the output of the analog digital converter to the 7 segment indicator and changed the position of the throttle we got real numbers. But the number werent going from 0-99., but from 10 to over 99 , at which the indicator started to display nonsense.

Should i use an EPROM chip (a programable logic chip) to be able to display number within 00-99.

The funny thing is that our techer told us that we couldn't use an EPROM chip, while the students of the last semester could.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. melodicbard Registered Senior Member

I doubt if the output of the ADC is in BCD format. Please check.
    Add extra logic to convert binary to BCD representation before feeding the signals to the 7-segment.

The ADC gives
    0.5 -> 26 (decimal)
    2.5 -> 128
    4.5 -> 230

You can see that 2V corresponds to 102 steps
    At reading 0 i.e. output = 00000000, the voltage should be about 0V.
    At reding 99, i.e. output = 01100011, the voltage should be about 1.94V.
    Add some potential divider network to adjust the voltage range to the desired one.

Hope that helps

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.