Flying Astronaut

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by wet1, Oct 2, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

A Flying Astronaut Over Earth
    Credit: Shuttle Crew STS-64, NASA
    What would it be like to fly free over the seas and clouds of Earth? In 1994 astronaut Mark Lee found out when he tested the Simplified Aid for EVA Rescue (SAFER) system for NASA. SAFER is a backpack propulsion unit that incorporates small nitrogen thrusters controlled by hand and moderated by computer. Pictured, Lee jets about the bay of Space Shuttle Discovery, over 200 kilometers above Earth in the first untethered space walk in ten years. Lee was not in danger -- the shuttle could have been used to retrieve him. SAFER, smaller than the Manned Maneuvering Unit, is designed as a backup system to help astronauts in the unlikely event that they become too separated from their work outside the International Space Station.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. rde Eukaryotic specimen Registered Senior Member

I thought Bruce McCandless was the only guy to test that?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

rde,
    Notice the credits for the photo. I think they would have it right if anyone would.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. rde Eukaryotic specimen Registered Senior Member

Fair enough. But I've got a very nice poster of Bruce from about 1992/3 testing the suit. I thought that was the only test.
    For some reason, the pictures didn't manifest themselves in work; it's only now that I'm at home that I see them in their full glory.
    Still prefer my poster, though; it's just the astronaut against a backdrop of Earth. Very nice.

8. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

I have to agree with the nice part. Even thought I have not seen the poster you speak of, just the photo at the lead of the thread captures my imagination. But then again almost all photos of space and related subjects do that to me. Call me way out there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.