Most powerful computer language?

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by MCP, Sep 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MCP Registered Member

There are tons of weird programming languages out there, and I've been wondering, which is the most powerful, and why. It's a vague question I know, but that's kind of the idea. Anyway, my vote goes to Prolog (though I don't know all that many) for it's ability to 'run backwards' (polymodality?) and e.g. the fact you can get it to do differentiation and integration in under a page of code. Also some of the things you can do with C++ templates are quite impressive... I'm interested to see what responses this thread'll get.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

There is no answer. Different languages have different strengths and different weaknesses. I only know bits and pieces of this and that so can't really say which one I like the best.

But, I'd go with assembly language as it is (in the end) what all the other languages break down to.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. dsdsds Valued Senior Member

The "power" lies in the programmer, not the language. Assembly is the lowest level (closest to machine language) any human programmer can handle therefore the assembly programmer has the potential for the most "power". Obviously, he/she needs to learn how to use that power.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

Powerful as in efficient, or raw power?

If you're looking for efficiency, PYTHON is perfect. very powerful, and easy to code in.

Raw power? You can do a lot with machine code., so I have to say assembly.

The middle line seems to be some place around C.

8. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

9. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Does John Cormack program all id game engines in assembly?

10. curioucity Unbelievable and odd Registered Senior Member

nexus is right. Some programming languages excel in simplicity, others excel in capabilities. C++ may be good at capability, but its horrenduous syntax hurt badly to beginners...

11. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

care to explain that further?

12. MCP Registered Member

Last edited: Sep 23, 2004
  13. curioucity Unbelievable and odd Registered Senior Member

Well, Kunax, about the good side of C++, I did say may be, but as for the bad side:
    Well, hard to explain (my nature), but in short, even though I've had the idea right, when it comes to actually choosing which syntax to use to execute what line, I'm always having a trouble (syntax error is my best friend... sarcasm...). I hate that..

14. AntonK Technomage Registered Senior Member

I'm learning Prolog right now and it most definitely has it strengths and it's weaknesses. Coding a hierarchy or an expert system is really awesome to do. It can deduce things that a human would really have to think about. I love converting logic puzzles into Prolog and then just querying it for the answer

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

But for other problems, it really sucks. For instance, number manipulation, I am in the process of coding a mergeSort algorithm and my split rules work okay, but my merge function always returns a weird answer that is "technically correct" but instead of giving me back a nice list like [1,2,3,4,5,6] it gives me back something like [[1,2,3,4 | 5,6],[]].

So If you or anyone is pretty good, let me know I'd love to learn more.

-AntonK

15. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Thanks!

But I think it will take a while before I work on it. I just started Java programming...

Btw... How would you write a program that would allow you to calculate derivatives and inteegration?

16. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Sounds cool....

17. MCP Registered Member

Nah, it just takes a bit of practice... here's a few mergesort implementations, hope they're useful

. And also calculus, though the integration is not all that good...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.