Half Life 2 locked on computer

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by roadblock, Sep 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roadblock Registered Senior Member

Hey.

I got steam and i preloaded half life 2 but its locked on my computer. I just realised that you have to purchase half life 2 to play it. IS there any way i can play it with out purchasing it? Or unlock it on my computer?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. djkmoney Registered Senior Member

umm no.. and as far as i know half life 2 isnt out yet.. youve just preloaded it when it comes out there will be a patch and you can play it then. that is of course if you buy it

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Frisbinator Registered Senior Member

Don't listen to this djmoney guy. He has only 46 posts, doesen't know what he's talking about. All you have to do is go to:

www.illegalgameunlocks.com\unreleased\halflife2

There you go pal, enjoy your full (and free!) version of Half Life 2!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. andrewsmith1986 I am death incarnate Registered Senior Member

its not quite working for me

can you get a diff link or something it says it doesn't exist

8. vslayer Registered Senior Member

the link appears to be broken.

BTW

andrew, your avatar is just plain sad, 1995 was thataway --->>

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

The link is not working because the site does not exist...

10. andrewsmith1986 I am death incarnate Registered Senior Member

wolfenstein owns your soul

11. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

You weren't supposed to be talking about those things here...

I wonder why no moderators have closed or censored this thread, so far...

12. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

The main reason for this post not really being dealt with is the fact that even though it "IS ILLEGAL" to download copied games or crack the copyprotection, it's not going to stop people doing it removing the post.

There have been many discussion on the issue of Piracy on the internet, in fact to the most part the overall understanding is that those that don't spend money on one game will on another. This therefore creates the potential for an even distributation of money across the different games companies (Although most ends up in EA's pocket for it becoming a big Comglomo....)

Heres another factor about copyrights, As you all know you can RENT a game from certain shops for the duration of a couple of nights to play it. Now this suggests if you were to copy a game, play it on your computer or console then "hire" the game, as long as you have deleted the copy you have actually "Legally" Licenced and played the game.

This can be a very useful way to "play the game", complete it and then "pay" only a little towards its licencing cost, for the privilege of playing it. This also means you don't end up with shelf loads of games that could potentially not be played or be classed as obslete when a new platform comes along.

Just remember you are not suppose to keep a copy of a game if you "Sell" the game or "take it back to the rental store".

13. fadingCaptain are you a robot? Valued Senior Member

So, when is half life 2 gonna finally come out? Or is it going the way of duke nukem forever???

14. malkiri Registered Senior Member

It's not even possible to play the game off the preload, because as far as I'm aware, it's only art.

15. Blue_UK Drifting Mind Valued Senior Member

Pre-load? Is the game finished yet?

No major company is EVER going to let you dl a game that only requires an unlock key. Crackers would just code something to circumnavigate it. It only take one cracker out of the whole of Korea (!) to fix it and then valve would be out of a bob or two.

16. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Thats True about cracking. Currently I haven't come across any software that does anything malicious to your system if you attempt to crack. Sure their are ways of rigging your program to identify if a Kernel Debugger is loaded, theres even ways to make it delete certain programs should if find the Kernel Debugger in use.

(Crackers hate it when their tools start getting deleted by an internal defence bot)

Nowadays encoding security into a game means a number of sub-checks to make sure that if any sub-check is being bypassed it gets picked up and the authentication system kicks in.

No matter what authentication a person puts into a program however, it can be bypassed by a simple ISO copy and a program that can run it as a virtual drive as long as they have a "generic serial". (I still can't work out why CD-ROMs and DVD's arent printed with individual serial numbers, where the number itself is apart of an encryption key, so without it it won't de-cypher. Other than the usual explaination of "It would take too much to set up each individual CD at their MASS PRODUCTION plant." You know the sorts of places where they print it for less than £2 ($3.50) with the box and printed manuals and sell it at 20 times the production price.

The other aspect to leaving this discussion about Half-Life 2 is purely because Anyone that has the capacity to download online could have got a hold of a copy of the "Stolen" version (The one the Hackers got hold of). There were different varients of story to how it was got hold of, one suggested that at a software convention the game was "Lifted" from someone stealing a display machine.

17. Blue_UK Drifting Mind Valued Senior Member

Valve said they were hacked, I think. Very nasty of them to blame delays on the theft, which in realiaty should not have caused any design holdbacks.

18. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Actually I did take a brief look at what was thefted, The delays were definitely not down to the stolen software (Since for one I'm sure they would have had backups). The actual software itself didn't exactly work but it did however contain some programmer and debugger notes that the team writing it were keeping.

The software also did not include any copyprotection within it at that stage, so it's not like anyone could have reversed the anti-piracy software at that time.

It by no means was complete, or even playable. (Only the multiplayer would have been possible to play I think, although there would have been the likelihood of getting trapped within, on or around virtual objects. Since it seems its programmed to drop your EVA suit if you should die, or drop the suit on you are startup. (As you can guess by my test the suit drop on the player and wouldn't let you move).

I'm not saying that I got hold of it for the game's perspective, or for anything other than to get a clue how games designers actually go about designing a game (Since as you can guess they keep their secret ingredients and recipe very hush hush!) I think anyone that was attempting to get hold of an early copy probably would have been doing so to see if their was any "Mod tools" (there was alot of tools, and the modifcation of the original Doom engine gives you an idea what people were probably up to).

I deleted it from my system for it's lack of testability, but it was just one of those things you have to get to check out for yourself what all the fuss was about.

One last thing to look at is the "Engine" thats being used, I would guess that "UNREAL 2" was used to create it, however "UNREAL 3" has been released (or at least talked about). Which means if a game was to stay at the cutting edge, it might mean re-writing into a "Newer" engine version, and therefore increasing the time period it takes to release.

19. Blue_UK Drifting Mind Valued Senior Member

I had heard that someone shoe-horned the game files from HL1 onto the embryo HL2 engine.

And yes, I doubt that those who stole the data also deleted their leaked source - a crime against humanity.

So you dl'ed it and it failed, eh? Obviously very incomplete.

Isn't the engine written from scratch? (As far as scratch goes nowerdays anyway, dx9 etc...)

A computer scientist friend of mine, who studied OpenGL, said although there's a huge amount of work involved in making 3d worlds the absolute basics are already made.

Anyway, we've all seen the videos; HL2 is going to be fucking awsome.

20. s0meguy Worship me or suffer eternally Valued Senior Member

What's this? You think your smarter or something because he has 46 posts and you 190?

21. Blue_UK Drifting Mind Valued Senior Member

He's trying to be funny, with that bogus link and all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.