Firefox

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by invert_nexus, Sep 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

There's a new version of Firefox available for download. 1.0 has finally been reached. There is a goal to reach 1,000,000 downloads in 10 days. They've reached 789,860 with 7 days to go. Think they'll make it? Go ahead and download it anyway. Help the effort. Tell your friends. Tell your neighbors. Firefox. Firefox. Go Firefox.

Funny thing. With my latest install I've lost the little buttons beside forum tools and search forums. I *think* that it was there after installing and disappeared at some arbitrary date. Has some type of code changed? Anyone else using either firefox 0.9.3 or 1.0 noticing this?

It's annoying. I like to use "Mark Forum Read". Maybe I should uninstall and reinstall rather than just install over my former installation?

Anyway. Firefox. Get it. Now. You'll thank yourself in the end.

Edit: I guess I ought to put up a link, huh?
    http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

Get it. Fool.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2004
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. rGEMINI Fallen Entity Registered Senior Member

w00t a new firefox i like the last one... also i hope they fixed the stupid login thing =P

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

there have always been problems when installing a new firefox version over an older one, extensions usually get f**** up. on Linux anyways

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. curioucity Unbelievable and odd Registered Senior Member

I'll see how your opinions develop first. I wonder if I need to switch...

8. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

it seems to be the same to me as the previous version.

9. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

There are a few changes in the options and a few bug fixes, other than that its the same Firefox less some bugs.

10. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

help -> about mozilla... look at the version number there is a differens

11. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

one thing I noticed that is new:

When the site you looking at is secure the URL has not white but yellow background and it shows a lock..

wow.

12. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

There is also a SP2 style popup blocker. It shows a bar at the top of the screen, maybe not to block popups but I went to a site to get an updated extension and it blocked it with the bar up there. I had to go in and allow the site to install software on my machine.

Also, search behavior (ctrl-F) is different. Rather than bringing up it's own window, it opens a bar at the bottom of the window.

I've noticed a few others but don't recall them specifically.

As to extensions, it didn't mess any of them up. The ones that don't work with the new version are disabled and it says it will check for new versions every so often. I found new versions for all except for the Phoenity theme that I like. I hope they update it soon. The other themes suck.

No one else getting weird behavior with forun tools? I can't bring up the list at all. I seem to recall someone talking about this a long time ago. Several versions ago. When it was still working perfectly for me and others. Might just be some weird thing that happens to some setting or another. I should try uninstalling and reinstalling. I wonder if uninstalling will clean up the registry?

13. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

forum tools works fine for me ("Thread Tools", "Search this Thread" and "Rate Thread" links in the first post rigth)

(FF on linux)

14. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

On closer inspection it has a better plugin installer, although its not absolutely working properly yet. (Spotted that with the XP firewall up, XP can block the plugin installing and the install process doesn't check to see if it's installed or not, just assumes that the download was completed and installed correctly.)

Btw, the 1,000,000 has been reached. (Help > Promote Firefox in a firefox browser to take you to the data)

15. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Ok. Uninstalled. Reinstalled. Still messed up. Uninstalled. Deleted Registry Entries. Still messed up. Uninstalled. Deleted registry entries. Deleted Program Files Mozilla folder. Reinstalled. Still messed up.

But...

Uninstalled. Deleted Documents and Settings\[user name]\Application Data\Mozilla\, Reinstalled and the buttons are back. Now to reinstall my extensions and whatnot. Hopefully it wasn't one of my extensions that was screwing up the works. If so, I'll find out which one.

16. robtex Registered Senior Member

I use firefox too.....biggest thing is security is tighter. had a lot of problems with internet explorer.

17. AntonK Technomage Registered Senior Member

I recently upgraded to 1.0 from a much older version and I like how the "Find" feature is now a bar at the bottom of the screen.

18. testify Look, a puppy! Registered Senior Member

With 1.0 PR you also get a new feature with handling RSS feeds. For instance, if you regularly go to Slashdot firefox automatically detects their RSS feed and asks you if you want to add a "Live Bookmark". Basically what this allows you to do is have a seperate folder in your bookmarks for slashdot news posts (a bookmark for each post). The folder will update every few minutes with the same information that the site has.

I don't know if IE or Mozilla have this feature, I don't really pay too close attention, but I love my RSS so much that I don't think I can ever willingly use another browser again.

19. ifi Registered Member

RSS feeds are great, but personally i prefer the Sage extension to FF. It creates a two-panel sidebar where one contains the link to the RSS feed(s), and the other contains the actual feed. Works like a charm.

http://sage.mozdev.org/

20. ifi Registered Member

Btw, http://texturizer.net/firefox/ 's got a lot of useful tips'n'tricks, along with most of the keyboard shortcuts and so on.
    I think what I like the most about Firefox, is that it's so customizable

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

21. s0meguy Worship me or suffer eternally Valued Senior Member

mozilla rules.

Unfortunatly alot of websites don't run very well on Firefox so that's why I sometimes have to use IE.

22. kevincme Registered Member

I've had at most two problems with sites not liking firefox. I just love the way it works.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.