Movie Compression. Help please

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by roadblock, Sep 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roadblock Registered Senior Member

Hey.

I have a movie on my computer which i downloaded and its avi.. i paid for it also. but it turns out to be 707mb so i can't put it on a 700 mb cd. Is there any way i can reduce the size of the movie so i can copy it to cd?

Thanx

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Ste_harris Net Ninja Registered Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

I suppose the question there is when you say you want to put it on CD, do you want the CD to be able to play the movie or mearly store it?

It is possible to write into a format that compresses either the sound into a vector like MP3 or the movie images themselves but you have to take note that when a movie is written to a normal CD there are is only so much that can be read by a CD-ROM at one time, this means you could end up with slowdowns, skips or jumps caused by trying to play a movie straight from CD.

So the usual answer is to place your movie onto the drive before viewing (and if possible store it on drive), this removes the problems of the CD-ROM attempting to cache enough of the Disc in advance to play seemlessly.

(If you do play it from Disc then the answer is to actually increase the available buffer Cache to aid with dealing with the CD slowdowns but its relative to how fast the CD-ROM can read.)

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Ste_harris Net Ninja Registered Senior Member

I was just wondering what type of movie you have to pay for before you can
    download it...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. roadblock Registered Senior Member

Hey thanx heaps aye. I really appreciate it. Ummm well either store or play, watever works, i just want to back it up aye. Umm well i paid and downloaded an AVI movie if that helps? THanx heaps

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.