Norton Ghost Drive Recovery

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Closet Philosopher, Sep 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Closet Philosopher Off to Laurentian University Registered Senior Member

I work at the library as a student computer tech. The previous guy created drive inages through Norton Ghost. I found the drive image on the computer (some kid deleted windows). I have the disk for booting. I have no idea how to work it. There is no place where I can use the drive image to recover the system. The Symantec site is down, so I can't get help. Any ideas?

Reb

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

I use a older command line version of ghost, but its is proberly almost the same as yours, anyway look in the readme files and do a "ghost -help" or something the that extend, it will show you what command are available + give example.

I have then created a bootable CD with ghost and the image on, that would automaticly ghost the pc if you popped the CD in the drive.

its not that hard, just read the help files and make sure you target the correct destination disk

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Closet Philosopher Off to Laurentian University Registered Senior Member

Well, I figured all of it out. I found the latest image (about a month ago, we set it to do it automatically at night) and I recovered the hard drive. Now when I start up the computer, it goes through the usual startup then when it is time to load Windows, the screen goes black and the white underscore-like thing blinks in the corner. I can't do anythingon the computer. I checked the BIOS to make sure that everything was set right. It still won't work. It's strange....

8. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

If the software isn't loading that means one of two things:
    Either the hardware needs checking.
    or
    The software is missing some drivers.

It could be something simple like the RAM being a little loose, or a Harddrive Cable being attached the wrong way round (usually when their is two drives and the secondary drive has been unplugged.)

However if you suggest that the system did at one point lose it's boot partition it's difficult to say if the files have been all brought back from the dead.

I suggest if you can't get it working through the simplest checks or alterations, rig the drive up as a secondary drive to another machine and get what ever information you require off it, otherwise just format it.

9. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

Does the image come from a simular pc, windows can throw fits of fury sometimes at the smallest things?
    I douth something is wrong with your HW(boots fine, err come when Windows start), but something did not go 100% ok in the ghost, Try to ghost "manaully"

I always used the -ntil param when ghosting, something to do with the FS, but to tell the thruth i forgot what it was

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.