Outsourcing and delicious fries?

Discussion in 'Business & Economics' started by sargentlard, Sep 7, 2004.

1. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Bound to happen

Just Plain weird though

I don't even know what to say....obviously it is efficient and cost friendly....but is this going too far?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. robtex Registered Senior Member

Mcdonald's almost wrote the whole book on the fast food business model.

The idea of franchising a large % of business was pushed through by them

marketing to parents through children is their brainchild

fictional company characters (aka ron mcdonald) as pr tool

predesigned company model included in contract of potential franchisers (including minimum population requirements and vendor relations)

They also, I believe coined the term "ketchup in your veins" which is a term meaning store managers who live for the company and follow the mcdonalds paradign is a fast ticket to early retirement and financial wealth.

There fast food company is the most successful in the states in terms of growth and wealth and if I remember correctly has the highest success rate of any fast food chain.

Many college univerisities and economic courses use their model as a business model for study.

If they make this work for them as a leader of the pack the rest are very likely to follow suit.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. dsdsds Valued Senior Member

Don't forget QUALITY, QUALITY, QUALITY.

There is always someone mopping floors at McDonald's.
    Every single hamburger and fry cooked exactly the same way all over the world. It'll clog your arteries but it's the safest restaurant food in the world.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. fadingCaptain are you a robot? Valued Senior Member

Anyone that has kids can attest to the genius/evilness of mcdonalds. They hit children marketing hard. Its the first place out of a kids mouth. Amazing.

Anyway, at least it has been outsourced within the US. It could be going to a center in India.

I think there should be major hurdles to outsourcing entire departments overseas. My company is doing that as we speak. Globalization will continue to kill the US job market if something isnt done.

8. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Contradicting on purpose? I sense sarcasm..no?

The hyper success is turning out to be a shot in the foot for them. It seems Mcdonalds main success came from growth and now that Mcdonalds has stretched arms as far as it could and now it is losing its steam.

Their shares are falling, all of their latest attempts at introducing new menu tiems have met with lackluster sales. The constant law suits, the harmful documentary, and the Atkins craze hasn't helped either.

As much as it sells it's food it can't stand on it's product alone.

9. Undecided Banned Banned

Thought you might be interested, how globalized is McDonalds?

Corporation: McDonald's Corporation
    Assets: 21, 685,000,000
    Foreign: 12 ,475,000,000
    Sales: 14 ,245,000,000
    Foreign: 8 ,420,000,000
    Employment: 364 000
    Foreign: 250 000
    TNI: 61..8%

TNI signifies its transnationality, essentially it is 62% internationalized.Thus the Sales per capita in McDonalds (should I compare it to a nation) is $39,134. That is 4% over the US average GDP.

10. Roman Banned Banned

YOUR NUMBERS MEAN NOTHING WITHOUT UNITS!

Assets: 21, 685,000,000
    Is that clams? Fries? Cattle? Dinero? Yen? Eunuchs? Proverbs? Nouns? Nuns? Puns?

11. fadingCaptain are you a robot? Valued Senior Member

Er id bet dollars. They do have lots of clams though....

This part is a little confusing though:
    Employment: 364 000
    Foreign: 250 000

Is that US employment vs foreign?

12. dsdsds Valued Senior Member

By "safest", I mean that it is probably very unlikely to get food poisoning at McD.

13. Undecided Banned Banned

YOUR NUMBERS MEAN NOTHING WITHOUT UNITS

I thought it would have been easily assumed that in a post barter economy, we would be talking about capital.

Is that US employment vs foreign?

Yes….

14. Roman Banned Banned

What about prostitutes? Where does Ronald McDoncald stand on the ladies of the night?

15. Maria Registered Member

Correct, consistency in McDonalds is key. Just think of when you go abroad. Personally I hate McDonalds and would rather sample native cusine but as a kid I remember driving through the motorways of Europe scanning the planes for the iconic golden arches and hassling my parents until they turned in. It was something familiar and special.
    I take offence at the attack McDonalds is under, the grief they are getting is undeserved. We say how it clogs your arteries and now infamously turns your liver into 'paté'. I challenge you to eat in a gourmet restaurant all the trimmings every day and not notice a similar effect. Think of the rich pastries, gravies and delicious lard that goes into a succesful, tasteful restaurant! The main health concern I have with MD (all chippers in fact) is the method of deep frying, trans fatty acids and all that, carcinogenic. Still, nobody plans on suing domestic goddess Nigella Lawson and her deep-fried bounty bars.

Anyway, McDonalds logo - genius. Arches already discussed and red is the masterstroke. Think of the brands that have really captured the hearts of people, coca-cola, manchester united, The Sun, even the Nazi party. Red is powerful. Think of the impact of the classic Guevera t-shirt.
    HOWEVER...personally think 'i'm lovin' it' ads are purely thought out, missed opportunity really, not a bad catch phrase, although really great use of global branding.

something funny on news today.
    With all the fuss I've been reading about US and UK firms outsourcing call centers in India I was getting a bit worried. In recent times Ireland has made a bit of cash with the large number of US multi-nationals coming here.
    Today I heard how an Indian firm is opening a call centre in Ireland.
    While great for the people with the jobs it does chip ones self-confidence...

16. fadingCaptain are you a robot? Valued Senior Member

Yes consistency. McD's isnt that bad. You will usually get a warm meal which is more than you can say for a lot of fast food.

Other than the fries, the other thing McD's did was slowly but surely increased portions along with $ of course. Next thing you know, you are saying sure super size me for another buck...and you are drinking a gallon of sugar water and eating a bucket of fries. They have backed off that now with all the uproar.

The latest ads with the 'back off the chicken' are terrible. Again, the genius shows on saturday mornings. It doesnt matter what the adult marketing does because they have kids pointing at the yellow arches before they are going to school.

An indian firm opening a call center in ireland....it makes you wonder where all this is going!

17. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Wait!!!!..the outsourced are outsourceing themselves?

18. maxzuk Registered Senior Member

Here’s to free enterprise!

Last edited: Sep 22, 2004
  19. OverTheStars Registered Senior Member