No More Population Problem

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by tetra, Sep 27, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tetra Hello Registered Senior Member

Lets just say, for the sake of argument, that you can develop a practical technology that allows you to jump across any distance of space.

There are over 10,000,000,000 stars in our galaxy, about 2/3 being binary or otherwise unusable to us.

That leaves us with around 3,000,000,000 stars.

Take away a billion stars, say, because they are too close together otr something odd like that or some weird thing we will find out in the future (like massive radiation going near them)

That leaves us with 2,000,000,000 stars that are about the size of Sol.

Now, There are 7 billion people on earth. Say that we sent a billion people out to these solar systems in the course of a hundred years (Hey, if you can jump across space, you can jump out of Earth's gravity well)

I would assume that these billion people would divide into groups of a million or so, so we have around 1000 groups of a million people. Each goes and finds/terraforms a planet in the course of 300 years.

This would generate us 1000 habitable planets.

Now, say each of those planets built up their population, while good ol' Earth is still sending people. Each one grows to about a billion people.

This would total mankind out to a trillion people, and we would have broken the evolutionary nightmare we were facing on Earth with all of our eggs in one basket.

Say each planet send out another group of a million people, waits 300 years. Now we have around 4000 solar systems (including the colonies that Earth started)

Now, with the original planets still growing, and the new ones growing as well, mankind would probably consist of around
    six trillion people.

Say this cycle goes on for another 10,000 years. Mankind is sure to consist of around a couple quintillion people, and thats if we dont go to other galaxies.

I know Im sounding a lot like the old archaic Asimov novels, but really, this would be great.

I think we sould pour every spare dollar we generate into the development of the various string theories, and material sciences and what not. Surely, being able to jump across space would be the single greatest thing ever accomplished, even overcoming agriculture and electricity.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Riddler Institutionalized Registered Senior Member

RIDDLE ME THIS:

I love it!!!!!!!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

You are absolutely correct!!!!!

Except for the part about being an archaic Asimov....... Those foward looking ideas will never be archaic!

I think that the collective hope of such a human expansion throughout the universe is the reason for the popularity of the long running Startrek phenomena and it's huge following. Without the possible future hope of mankind seeded on other worlds, I do get a little depressed. Obvious it should be to everyone, that this world will NOT continue to support the growing masses without some major sacrifices. Inevitably one human race, on this one world only, will result in a complete failure (extinction) of the human race. We need growing space!

AGREED!!!!!!!

Thanks Tetra.........

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

Actually Tetra, you should wait till the theory is discovered before pouring your money into it. They havent even discovered all the forms of energy yet. I'm predicting within the next few years they are going to discover the 'life energy' something like what the chinese call chi. I hate the string theory----its all a bunch of inept crap. Just like the ether.......same shit different pile.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. some_guy01 Registered Senior Member

uh Elbaz, they have already proven that what "chi" is and its not some special force but a split second of concentration in which the mind acts at its highest point. This can be seen with archery; there is a spilt second in which an archer fires the arrow to the point of perfect percision and hits the target perfectly(almost)

just a question but what is wrong with the string theory you seeem totally against it like it could never exist

8. kmguru Staff Member

There will be two types of technologies that will be discovered in the next 200 yeras. One is moving through sub-space (for lack of a better word) within our solar system. And the other is, what else, hyperspace (could be called something else) to travel to distant place. That will assist your proposal.

There is one problem. This means that at this time we are the only top banana in our galaxy - other wise we would see others in our neck of the woods.

9. Futurist Banned Banned

explore solar energy.

10. Gifted World Wanderer Registered Senior Member

What's solar energy got to do with instantaneous intrauniversal travel?

11. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

Find the tech to get there first. Until then go with the condom.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.