Setting up a network.

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Captain_Crunch, Sep 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Captain_Crunch Club Ninja Valued Senior Member

Right, need some advice on how I would go about networking two computers.

I have a PC that has a broadband connection and I have a laptop that I want to have connected to the broadband connection but I dont want it to have access to my hard disks on the PC (you know parents can be potentially devastating when they dont know how to work computers.)

I know I could probably just get another modem and network the printer? (I want the laptop to use the printer)

Could anyone help me in undertaking what I want to do, I dont think itll even need 'networked'.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. grazzhoppa yawwn Valued Senior Member

It's easy to not share your harddisk over the network, as Windows XP doesn't allow that unless you specify it (by right clicking on the folder or entire drive in Explorer and select Sharing and Security). You can even allow other people to access your drive but not be able to change files on it, its all in the Sharing and Security tab of the drive's properties. That might be a good option since you're worried about your parents messing up the desktop's files.

To share an internet connection you need a router.

You can tell Windows to share the printer connected to the desktop too. Control Panel -> Printers/Faxes -> right click on the printer you want to share -> select Sharing...

What do you mean by that? You have 1 interent connection coming into your house and even if you bought another modem, is there a way to split that 1 internet line without a router? Why would you need another modem?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

What can also help stop any folders/drives being shared is to make sure that you disable Netbios over TCP/IP. Admittedly it can mean that your machines won't see each other in "Network Neighbourhood", however they still will be able to transport communications like the internet through TCP/IP.

(Netbios allows windows systems to communicate with their own "socket layer" that resides on TCP/IP, however it's usually seen as very easy to manipulate if you know what you are doing which is why it's best turned off.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Voodoo Child Registered Senior Member

i'd use windows Internet Connection Sharing, NICs and a crossover cable/hub/switch. Most computers already have NICs in them. If you are using a broadband router you can just plug the laptop into a spare ethernet port.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.