search for a laptop...

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by weed_eater_guy, Sep 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. weed_eater_guy It ain't broke, don't fix it! Registered Senior Member

selfishly, i am going to use this forum solely for my own good

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

i'm looking for a laptop for college, but i want to do real gaming on it. it'd be major kudos if it could stay non-obsolete for those 4 years. i might take it to class for notes, but mostly i'd just take it places to use the campus' wi-fi networks and stuff, so portability would be nice, but i don't need the slimist, tiniest, fit-in-your-back-pocket laptop. the only catch: i only have $2000 to spend. any ideas? I saw this one, a compaq R3000T with dedicated graphics, priced VERY nicely, but people have told me that all compaqs are crap, so i dunno. thanks yall for any help!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

get extended warranty. Mine broke down a month after the warranty expired. Broken motherboard. Cost: 870 Euro.

Or get a cheap laptop. That is what I would do now.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. weed_eater_guy It ain't broke, don't fix it! Registered Senior Member

thanx for the tip!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. The Singularity The last thing you'll ever see Registered Senior Member

Most notebooks under 2000$ aren't spectacular when it comes to gaming ... unless you buy one that weights almost 10 pounds (like the HP Pavillion zd7000).

Though the one that may be good for gaming and isn't a brick when it comes to travelling with it could be the Compaq Presario X1000 series. Many people have negative views on Compaq but this laptop from them is probably the best notebook they made. It's under 2000$ and it's a fairly powerful notebook for its weight (6.5 pounds).

8. weed_eater_guy It ain't broke, don't fix it! Registered Senior Member

but the x1000 has mobile pentium, arnt those like mediocre with games?

9. Closet Philosopher Off to Laurentian University Registered Senior Member

10. The Singularity The last thing you'll ever see Registered Senior Member

It really depends what kind of games you're planning to play on it. If you're planning to play Doom 3 on it or any other high spec demanding games, then just about every laptop under 2000$ are mediocre. The notebook ILikeSalt stated is perfect for gaming but is fairly expensive for people on a tight budget.

In general, there are rarely any laptops under 2000$ which can play games very well. There are a few exceptions, like the HP Pavillion zd7000 series that can handle most gaming (since it's a media notebook), but you would have to sacrifice some of its mobility to have the necessary gaming specs. Again, it really depends how much gaming you're aiming for.

11. rGEMINI Fallen Entity Registered Senior Member

12. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

Gaming on a laptop is a complete waste unless you've got tons of dough. I recommend buying an older laptop, maybe something without an OS from http://pricewatch.com . It'll last those four years if you put a lighter OS on it such as linux.

13. rGEMINI Fallen Entity Registered Senior Member

14. rGEMINI Fallen Entity Registered Senior Member

the graphics card should be upgraded but other then that it's good for the cost

15. weed_eater_guy It ain't broke, don't fix it! Registered Senior Member

i have no freggin idea how linux works, does it work with windows stuff? and thanks again everybody for the pointers

16. rGEMINI Fallen Entity Registered Senior Member

LOL i don't really suggest linux unless your intrested in learning a more complex and powerfuly OS... also sometimes you can't play your 3d games on it =_

17. weed_eater_guy It ain't broke, don't fix it! Registered Senior Member

wow, that'd suck, i'd be game to learn a new OS but no 3d games?! *sniffle*

18. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

3D games on linux is purely down to people programming the games to allow for OpenGL otherwise you're attempting to clone DirectX to play anything. Microsoft forced in some respects a monoply in the PC industry through the use of compatibility software in the form of the DirectX drivers library which any development company could get ahold of the SDK, however with OpenGL it was/is limited as a System for 3D by the fact that its more Hardware orientated.

DirectX keeps being re-engineered to which doesn't help in some instances of programming (for instance the Drivers could work fine, then an update comes out and the drivers have to be altered to cater for the update).

Still if you are after games, get a console since they are built purely for games.

19. Closet Philosopher Off to Laurentian University Registered Senior Member

I'd go on eBay and find something good for the price. You can save a few hundred dollars on any laptop you choose to buy.

I realised that it's probably better to get a cheap used or refurbed laptop and get a gaming desktop.

You have to be willing to spend lots of $$$ to get a nice gaming laptop. I bought a compaq laptop for mobile gaming. Honestly, I'd be willing to sell it to you, it's great for gaming but I am saving for school and things like gaming laptops are a luxury.

20. rGEMINI Fallen Entity Registered Senior Member

yah ebay is a good idea... but personally i would forget hte whole laptop idea and get a custom computer at a site like www.newegg.com - or if you like getting the best deals www.tomshardware.com for 2k you can geta really good computer ^^^

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.