Wireless death

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Dilbert, Sep 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dilbert Registered Senior Member

I recently obtained a Wireless Router with 4 TCP/IP connections and 253 wirelss clients (if i am not mistaking). Well, it is overkill naturally but that does not matter.

How "dangerous" is it really? I know it can't be healty

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

, but how bad is it.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Well if it's left open people can surf the internet for free if you have an always on connection, they can probe the network for any systems that are connected and potentially check to see what you have shared, they could mess with the printer and if they were talented they could get into your computers if it's not correctly firewalled and connected.

In the most cases I think that if someone realised you have a network up they will scan it, potentially "Record" it's connection a while to work out how to connect to your machines. (Totally dependwnt on if you've a Router using Encrypted Tunneling instead of a normal one.)

Just keep an eye on it, and make sure your router doesn't have a Hardwired "backdoor" password (some routers actually have hardwired passwords that means any access to the network, the person can drop the firewall on ports etc)

Also try not to "accidentally" connect to other networks with it

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Dilbert Registered Senior Member

my neighbour also has a wireless router, but ill try to avoid it.

It has a built in firewall and encryption. (but don't know how trustworthy that is)

This is what i had in mind:
    The wireless router has 2 tcp/ip connections to both my stationary computers. And me and my father connect to it wireless with our laptops also.
    I will set up a VPN client so that my father can connect to his work.
    Was also thinking of using a domain system so that you have to either be a part of the domain or possibly have a username and password valid in the domain to be able to connect to another computer.

Although there are no real hackers in this town so even the most primitive encryption would probably be overkill.

Btw, Stryder how far does it reach? will i be able to connect to it if i am 50 to 100 meters away? I heard something about 300 meters but you should never believe in what the company says about their own products.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

Say, ever heard of a cantenna?

http://www.turnpoint.net/wireless/cantennahowto.html

Comined with programs that monitor the data streams to and from the router in order to get passwords, this can be a problem.

Not only employed by hackers, some poor students also do it.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.