Living Forever

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by tetra, Sep 26, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tetra Hello Registered Senior Member

I am not talking about living a thousand years, or even a million.

I am talking about living throughout infinity.

Is it possible within the laws of physics, to create a system to such precision, that it can create new universes for the mind to reside in, and keep entrophy to a minimum that can be rapaired, so that that system can literally last throughout eternity?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

We are living forever already.

We reincarnate to higher levels of existance all the time.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

Well, according to the Laws of logic, sure it's possible. According to the "Laws" of Physics, theoretically, it's possible. However, there's a lot to the 'theoretically' part. To begin, we would have to ensure that our "Laws" really are such. That would require completing the TOE (Theory of Everything). While great strides have been made recently, we would need to know how to predict behavior on all scales, from quantum through meso/nano-scale up to macro. Assuming that was accomplished, there would be no reason to worry about entropy. At least, on the physical side.
    The main problem with your idea comes from your use of the term 'mind'. You are assuming that a person's identity is particular to it's 'mind'. Furthermore, you are implying that this 'mind' is a non-physical thing. If this is the case, then mastery of physics will most likely not help us. If the 'mind' is some non-physical thing, then our problems are multiplied.
    Now, this whole mind question will no doubt cause some arguments (as it has through the ages), but this is the crucial element involved with the idea of immortality.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. kmguru Staff Member

I think, nothing lives forever. Even atoms will lose their energy, so that electrons can longer circle the neucleus. Under ideal circumstances, cells can divide indefinitely (Cancer cells do that) - provided the outside environment is favorable.

8. daktaklakpak God is irrelevant! Registered Senior Member

I read an article from Discover magazine long time ago. It's about the possibility of eternity. It concludes that in order to live forever, one must spend no energy and pretty much has to be motionless, even in subatomic level.

9. kmguru Staff Member

One of our dog is 14 years old. It sleeps 20 hours per day. The vet says the dog will last for a while. May be that is the key - Sleep as much as you can....

10. Crisp Gone 4ever Registered Senior Member

Perhaps kmguru is right: nothing can live forever

Hi all,

There are some theories in elementary particles physics (and also some experimental indications that point towards those theories), that protons, the key building blocks of atoms, decay after 10^34 years (thats a 1 with 34 zeros). If the Big Bang occured 10 billion years ago (= 10^10 years) then we still have about 10^24 years left before everything starts falling apart.

Bye!

Crisp

11. kmguru Staff Member

Would not it be interesting that after 10^34 years, the only force that exists for a short time is gravity - that collects all these dead particles into a giant ball and kick starts big bang?

12. JackSpratts Registered Member

would certainly give new meaning to the phrase "life in prison". but seriously, in order to live to infinity (..."and beyond"), one must have a substantial philosphical reason, as well as a technical one. i think as humans we've a long way to go before we arrive at either.

- js.

13. kmguru Staff Member

I do not mind living 250 million years as a historian where I am staying in a special spaceship, wake up every 100 years to see what is going on for a month, record them and then go back to sleep....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.