Crazy ideas

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by daktaklakpak, Sep 26, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daktaklakpak God is irrelevant! Registered Senior Member

I read a book called Nine Crazy Ideas in Science recently in a book store. The following are the crazy ideas it talks about.

1.More Guns Means Less Crime
    2.Sun Exposure Is Beneficial
    3.Faster-than-Light Particles Exist
    4.Time Travel Is Possible
    5.There Was No Big Bang
    6.AIDS is not caused by HIV
    7.Coal and oil are not fossil fuels
    8.Radiation exposure is good for you
    9.Solar system might have two suns

What really catches me is the idea that coal and oil are not fossil fuels. Like oil and nature gas appear to be more abundant than previous predicted. Oil wells refill themselves in the Middle East. It also lists many other reasons that are very convincing.

If you get a chance, take a look at the book. Very interesting.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Crisp Gone 4ever Registered Senior Member

Hi daktaklakpak,

Hrm, that would be quite strange indeed - that would move directly into the common notion that oil and coal are created by fossils (which explains the high concentration of life-like components in it). I can somehow accept that coal is not produced by fossils, because it has a crystalline structure (graphite) composed almost entirely of carbonide. But usually loads of carbonite tend to point to ex-life.

I have always been very sceptic on oil and the related industry. Just a year ago, people were screaming all over the place that all available oil would be used in about 40-50 years: the remaining oil would be too deep to pump up, that would cost too much, raising oil prices, nobody buying, ... you know the scenario. At that time I always thought that the estimated time should be divided by two and was more like 20 - 30 years of oil left (does anybody have any idea how much oil we all consume on one day ? billions of liters!). So "refilling oil wells" and "still plenty of oil left" scenarios seem like a story of the oil industry to prevent people and nations from massively stocking oil, speeding up the "running-out-of-oil" process.

There's absolutely no scientific ground in the previous, but I somewhat learned to distrust big companies and the information they provide

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Later,

Crisp

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

In the idea that oil is not a fossil fuel.

I ran into this while looking for information about ancient deep impact sites. One of the things that came up was that it appears that some of the best oil sites is where prehistoric deep impacts have occurred. That there is the possibility that these come from PAH's found in space and not from dinosaurs themselves for the large part. That these come from down deep and coalesce when they cool enough. In deep impact sites where the earth around these sites is fractured allowing the petrocarbons to move upward in slow fashion to collect in pockets in cooler areas. It is indeed speculation.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. daktaklakpak God is irrelevant! Registered Senior Member

8. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

No! Tachyons do exist! They're the basis for a part in my scifi novel! It involves using tractor beams to catch em and using them like horses in a chariot to drag you across the universe. When (in my book) you split a tachyon it creates a wormhole, and the longer you keep the same tachyon in two pieces the farther the wormhole extends.

9. spankyface Registered Senior Member

Sounds interesting, shrike! What's a tachyon? heh, forgive my ignorance in this matter.

10. kmguru Staff Member

Our solar system has two suns? Crazy idea but there are people that are trying to prove, such is the case.

Somewhere I saw a stat that a county made it a law to keep gun at home and the crime dropped 24%.

Sun exposure is beneficial. Why is it crazy? Vitamin D and photosynthesis and power....

11. WhoIsDarke Registered Member

The idea that there wasn't a big bang isn't really crazy..... considering its the basis of a lot of Stephan Hawking's stuff.

12. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

The majority of stellar systems are binary. This makes the solar system kind of an oddity. Or shall we say less common. I have speculated on this in other threads in the past.

Sunlight is good for you. As kmguru has brought out. We evoled under this conditions and it will be hard to believe that such is not the case.

13. kmguru Staff Member

In winter time, if you do not get enough sun, you will get depressed....

14. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Crazy idea:

Drinking water cools you down after eating a curry...
    It's a complete lie.. it just enflames it, your better off drinking beer *hic*

15. SeekerOfTruth Unemployed, but Looking Registered Senior Member

I also remember reading an article along similar lines. I believe it stated that Switzerland requires every adult male to be part of its country's militia and that every adult male is required to have, as part of the militia, a fully functional, automatic weapon. As I recall, the article stated that Switzerland had the lowest crime rate in the world.

I have no idea if this is true or not, just thought it was interesting. It makes a little sense in that if it is true and you are someone trying to break in to a home in Switzerland, then you KNOW that there is a fully functional automatic weapon there to great you. It would seem to be quite a deterence on the surface.

16. kmguru Staff Member

The gun thing is in USA (Kentucky or Indiana).

Drinking ice water with hot meal is not recommended. Drink a hot drink such as soup or hot tea. Reason: Stomach acids work better at an elevated temperature and your food will digest better.....

17. Rick Valued Senior Member

hi.i"ll answer that as far as i know.
    scientists have worked out the mathematics for a world in which all the particles are moving with respect to each other with velocity greater than "c",ie,the velocity of light.such a world can exist without violating the postulates of relativity but they will never slow down to speed less than "c".the particles of this hypothetical world cannot interact with ours or vice versa.these particles are called TACHYONS. in such world effect will always preceede its cause.the idea was given originally by an indian scientist E.C.G. Sudarshan.

18. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you, the mailer doesn't mail me anymore so I have to scrounge around the forums looking for the posts I've been at.

Tachyons are faster-than-light subatomic particles. That's all I know.

Yeah they are interesting.

19. John Devers (AVATAR) Registered Senior Member

No. 5 is correct in the sense that it was not a big bang but a big shhhh. Sound could not propagate until the universe cooled enough for particles to form.

20. kmguru Staff Member

Tachyons could be part of a 5-dimensional universe where they pass though "branes" like light travels in a 4-dimensional universe.

21. Rick Valued Senior Member

Its quite possible,yes.

22. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Not sure about this one. Certainly more guns make for deadlier crimes. Then there are the accidents...
    That's all a matter of degree.
    As far as I am aware, there is no evidence that this is the case, although the theory of relativity doesn't rule out the possibility.
    Again, relativity says this <i>may</i> be possible, but there's currently no evidence for it. (That's <i>reverse</i> time travel, by the way. Forwards time travel is commonplace.)
    The evidence is currently strongly in favour of the Big Bang.
    Then why is HIV always present in AIDS patients?
    Need more info on this one. Unlikely, I think.
    See 2, above. We're all exposed to <i>some</i> radiation.
    Where's the other one?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.