New G5 iMac

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by locknroll, Aug 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. locknroll Registered Senior Member

I'm sorry guys. This is definitely the imac reloaded. After the flowerpot, I knew it would be difficult to come up with a more revolutionary design. Not that I wouldn't buy one if I had the money, but the G4 imac was 'woah' - this is 'meh'

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

My school just got outfitted with G5 imacs in every lab. Right off the bat they are super sexy looking.....seriously. Window platform manufacturers need to hire some Apple designers and start designing some sexy looking PC like Apple does.

Otherwise I haven't delved enough into the new g5 to see what is really new.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Better look sexy for the cost. You gotta sell your first born child for an apple. Is it worth the cost? Doubtful.

8. Gravity Deus Ex Machina Registered Senior Member

Apple is good at asthetics - this however is only new in the minor cosmetic details. A couple of PC vendors have had cpu-behind-flat-screen designs before. Run Linux on one of them and you've got the equivelent of this. The Apple version is certainly prettier though, too bad my budget usually can't bend too much for ''pretty''!

9. locknroll Registered Senior Member

sargentlard TAKE ME TO YOUR SCHOOL!!!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Whoops...confusion abound....My school is outfitted with G5 Powermacs...not imacs

Last edited: Sep 1, 2004
  11. rGEMINI Fallen Entity Registered Senior Member

!!!! G5 even better!!!!!

12. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

If its isn’t cheap, modifiable, overclockable, rugged piece of shit that plays games like mother fucker, its worth nothing to me.

iMac? Ha I’ll be happy when they get the G5 on satellites and space probes as is the g3 is finally available for deep space.
    http://www.iews.na.baesystems.com/business/pdfs/02_c95_001.pdf

Last edited: Sep 1, 2004
  13. river-wind Valued Senior Member

sigh. one more time. Yes Apples are expensive. However, configure a Dell system with similar specs, and you'll find yourself paying the same amount.

Apples are expensive largely in part because you have alot already included with the base system.

And don't get me started on the total cost of ownership, or the average lifespan of PC's vs Apples.
    ---------------------
    on topic: the machine is pretty good, though the RAM and the non-updradable video are pretty blech. While it is a G5 chip, it is set to run single-channel memory, and the FSB runs at 1/3 the CPU clock, instead of 1/2 the CPU like the towers.

The form factor is the exact form factor that Steve Jobs denounced as ugly and impractical three years ago, when they unveiled the iMac2.
    And the stupid f'ing ports are in the f'ing BACK of the machine. I do not see the slick usability Apple is known for in this machine (though the VESA connector is nice- you can hand it from the wall

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

).

and at $1299 for a 1.6Ghz G5 and FSB @ 1/3rd CPU, I'd estimate that this will run at equivelent speeds to a 2.4Ghz-2.8Ghz P4. Unless you have a need for the form factor, I don't see the value. I do expect a fair number of small buisnesses getting one for the front desk, students getting one for their dormrooms. Status symbols with a small server chip in them.
    Then again, I didn't see the value of the iMac2, either; and I don't see the value of LCD's in general, 5x the price for 80% of the functionality of a CRT...

That said, it's the first AIO machine of its type that is *that* thin, and at $1299 is fairly comparable to AIO PC's (given an extra $100 or so for the extra sveltness).

Final Grade:Meh. Bring on a headless version for $699, or drop the price on this to <$1000 and we'll talk.

14. Gravity Deus Ex Machina Registered Senior Member

My only real issue with Apple is that years ago at a computer conference I briefly met Steve Jobs and listened to a presentation by him. Most arrogant, self-absorbed SOB I've ever met! Black turtleneck wearing self-proclaimed Messiah! And the sheep he is talking to usually eat it right up, clapping and nearly crying with every statements he makes - its a pretty amazing thing.

Now *Steve Wozniak* on the other hand, is a brilliant man who was behind the original Apples, and though he left in '85 hired on some of the minds that pushed good ideas through to the present for Apple, and helped establish their grounding in innovation.

Anyways, I've no bad feeling towards the Machines at all. Personally I like an open architecture that allows lots of fiddling and changing of things, but hell - Apple is moving that way. AGP slots, PCI slots, DDR RAM, CPU by IBM, OSX is a Linux variant . . . . all PC technology. Perhaps soon you'll be able to run any OS you want on either platform? That would be cool!

15. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

But ... the Mac is back.

Go Steve!

And yet, we see what Apple comes up with: the best computers on the market.

Yes, I'll take Jobs' arrogance over, say, Gates' anyday. At least in Apple's case that arrogance favors the product itself. What was it Gates wanted? A computer in every home and all of them running Windows? What greater testament to arrogance than Gates' stubborn determination to make universal an inferior system built around priorities aiming toward investor (not consumer) satisfaction.

It would be cool. But Microsoft and its business model stand in the way.

Apple has a natural advantage: You can pirate software but it's harder for the average joe to pirate or clone a Macintosh.

Software will eventually reach a point where it's all released like Acquisition or OmniWeb; the days of paying hundreds of dollars for a Photoshop or Word are coming to an end--witness Microsoft's X-Box; the quiet secret is that Microsoft is selling a computer, which it's not supposed to do. Buy an X-Box, and then nose around online to find out what you need, but the long-term plan is to find hardware to create and sell to offset eventual declines in software revenues. In the meantime, a rumor more firm than that last is that Microsoft is cutting back on certain classic perks; friends who cater on the campus even report a meeting a few weeks ago in which Gates announced he was taking back his soda machines and snack machines and making people pay for what has been, for years, free: the Microsoft-microserf culture of devotion and adoration and dedication is over, so Bill's yanking the perks that came with it--if people don't want to work in that kind of environment, they don't have to, but he's not going to waste money supporting what's not there.

In the meantime, Microsoft has to come unstitched to a certain degree before humanity will be so priviliged as to have a universal operating system that is designed with user needs in mind.

Really, why is Apple trying to cozy up to the open-source market? Well, if enough folks bite on the proprietary Darwin kernel, yes, Windows can be beaten out of the market by establishing an unshakeable corner of the software world in which people simply don't play the Microsoft way. In the meantime, as software becomes less of a commercial asset, Apple still has really cool, ultra-stable, tremendously-functional computers to sell. And as the bid for a record label indicated, Apple is willing to secure itself by entering other industries, as well: they survived the dark years specifically because they had the money to spend. They recalled Steve Jobs to run the company because nobody could figure out how to successfully turn Apple into something it loathed, and nobody was capable of running the company any other way.

And the iMacs? Well, the nosecone was amazing; the sunflower absolutely beautful. This? Well, welcome back, Mac. Rarely do I get the simultaneous joys of anticipation and nostalgia.

16. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Best computer on the market? That obviously a personal belief, rather then reality.

Killing off Monopilosoft though that would be a dream come true.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2004
  17. Gravity Deus Ex Machina Registered Senior Member

There you go - mental masturbation over a tool! People who are so worked up over Mac vs. PC sort of sound like people who want to kill each other over "Chevy vs. Ford". Its the new geek redneck argument.

As an uncle who works in physics in a little lab in New Mexico said "You know . . . hearing Mac vs. PC's whining happening always makes us laugh - the REALLY big computers are neither. (Though Ironically those really big computers often run Linux, Unix, and *gasp* Windows NT/2000/2003 . . . but they never run OS-X).

Most bang for the buck for us mere mortals without Department of Defense funding? Custom built system running a Linux flavor - runs circles around any Mac or PC.

18. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

So then what do you call a computer running linux? PC can run linux, heck macs can to. This is not a windows vs Linux vs OS-X argument, this is mac vs PC, hardware wise argument.

19. Gravity Deus Ex Machina Registered Senior Member

Huh? Hardware? Mac: CPU by IBM, Hard Drives by Seagate & Western Digital, RAM by all the same vendors, Optical drives by all the usual suspects, OS = Linux and etc, . . . . Mac's and PC's are perhaps converging. Which means you'll have to find new reasons for feeling superior to, and judgemental about, others.

20. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

G5 processor is very different from the Pentiums or Athlons, the latter are all based off the x86 architecture (or convert to it) while the G5 is based on the PowerPC architecture.

21. Gravity Deus Ex Machina Registered Senior Member

Well yeah, based on PowerPC . . . made by IBM. So?

22. eincloud Banned Banned

My god, they are sooooooo nice, they make hardly any noise and are THIN for a G5. I really hope that I will be getting one soon it's gonna be a great upgrade from my 700 mhz iMac right now, but, I still think that the G4 models are eye candy as well.

23. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.