Election: Moderator for Astronomy, Exobiology and Cosmology

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by James R, Aug 31, 2004.

?

Please vote for your preferred choice for moderator of the Astronomy forum.

Poll closed Sep 7, 2004.
  1. Hypercane

2 vote(s)
    5.3%
  2. ILikeSalt

5 vote(s)
    13.2%
  3. (Q)

11 vote(s)
    28.9%
  4. sargentlard [no longer wishes to run so vote will not count]

8 vote(s)
    21.1%
  5. Tristan

10 vote(s)
    26.3%
  6. vslayer

4 vote(s)
    10.5%
  7. None of the above

4 vote(s)
    10.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Please vote for your preferred moderator of the Astronomy, Exobiology and Cosmology forum.

You may vote for as many candidates as you wish. However, keep in mind that all candidates you vote for will be on an equal footing as far as your vote is concerned, so if you really prefer one candidate over the others, you are better off voting just for that nominee.

Nominations were originally posted in the following thread:

[thread]39962[/thread]

The poll will remain open for 7 days from the time of this post.

It has been suggested that a "None of the above" option be included. If you are voting for any of the candidates, obviously you should not also select this option. If "None of the above" gets more votes than any of the candidates, then the election will most likely be postponed to a future date, when the process will be started again from scratch with new nominees.

To the candidates: Please post your election speeches in this thread, so voters have some idea of what you stand for.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2004
  2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Last edited: Aug 31, 2004
  4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Time Travel Thread - the poster asked a legitimate question however this thread should probably be moved to Physics and Math as it doesn't pertain to this forum.

Perpetual Energy Thread - Although the thread starter indicated he has an answer to perpetual energy, none was yet forthcoming. And again, the thread is not appropriate to this forum. Perhaps this is one for the "Alternative" forum that was talked about some time ago. Other than that, its almost ready for Pseudoscience.

Paul Dixon Thread - "Stayin' Alive - Stayin' Alive" - Bee Gees

Strange Thing in the Sky Thread - this thread is fine as is.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

(Q)
    Why do you think "strange thing in sky" should not be moved?
    Could you be a little more detialed about Paul Dixon Thread?

8. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Candidate Speech

I would like to keep this forum in the same tradition as was conducted by Wet1 who did an outstanding job. And I will continue in the same tradition by posting APOD's and interesting articles.

Threads not appropriate to this forum will be moved.

I will expand this forum to include topics and questions regarding telescopes. I build my own telescopes and would be happy to answer questions regarding the building, maintaining, repairing and use of telescopes, eyepieces, optics and accessories to the best of my ability. Anything I cannot answer will be researched.

And of course, extraordinary claims will require extraordinary evidence.

Q

9. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Why do you think "strange thing in sky" should not be moved?

The thread starter saw something he could not explain and assumed it may have been an iridium flare but wasn't sure. I would suspect this would fall under amateur astronomy.

Could you be a little more detialed about Paul Dixon Thread?

The thread should probably be closed as it has long outlived its usefullness, but I suspect Paul will simply start another one as its the only thread he posts. Let it be.

10. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Yes but the "strange thing in sky" is heading into a UFO topic read the replies.

11. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

WCF - I don't see that as of yet.

12. Hypercane Sustained Winds at Mach One Registered Senior Member

First Thread : Move it to its appropriate forum, Physics and Math.

Second Thread : I'm not entirely sure about what to do with this thread, its almost a crossbreed between Physics and Math and the current sub-forum that its in. But since the subject revolves around energy, I'd have to move it to Physics and Math. Yet again, I am not sure. But if it were necessary, I'd move it to Physics and Math.

Third Thread : Though most recently the topic has been going sidetracked on and off, I will leave the thread in its current sub-forum, thus opening more opportunities to reply and discuss the current subject. If it sidetracks completely, I will do my best to keep in on track concerning the subject.

Fourth Thread : If the main topic progresses into a more 'pseudoscience' kind of mood, as it is doing at the moment, it will be moved into the pseudoscience sub-forum.

13. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Canditate speech

This is my 5th election (guess what....I lost the previous 4) and over the course of those other 4 failed campaigns I have realized that my promises are still the same.

Unbiased moderating, civil behavior, I am here everyday, Knowledgeble enough to know what belongs in Astronomy forum.

Wet1 kept the forum an interesting place to visit and I promise to do the same.

So vote for me......my track record shows you haven't the past 4 time

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

14. Hypercane Sustained Winds at Mach One Registered Senior Member

I will try to be a promising moderator. I may not have a large span of knowledge in the concerning topic, but I know enough for it to be sufficient for my needs. I should be able to recognize the difference between the concerning topics of various threads and should be able to seperate them from the main line : Astronomy, Exobiology, and Cosmology. I have a fair amount online on my hand to take a responsibilty like this also. Vote for me if this speech convinced you of my abilities, thank you.

15. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Vote For ILikesalt

Last edited: Sep 3, 2004
  16. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

I voted for ILikesalt. And if you adore me to the same degree as I do myself you should do the same.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2004
  17. phlogistician Banned Banned

It's in the section;

'Astronomy, Exobiology, and Cosmology', ...

... so wouldn't a potential explanation that it's a craft piloted by an extra-terrestrial life form almost fall into 'exobiology' ;-)

18. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

no because under psuedoscience it says "ufos, paranormal, unexplained phenomena" thus any subject about a weird light in the sky that does not seem explainable by any conventional phenomena should be moved to psuedoscience. The reasoning for this is that eventually threads like this one even if they start off benign end up with anal probing and deep government conspiracies with kooks screaming bloody murder! Not the kind of stuff we want on a intellectual subforum like Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology.

19. Arditezza Banned Banned

Wait a minute. I voted for spuriousmonkey, and now his name is gone and I have no ability to vote for anyone else. That's not really fair. Could I please have my vote back then?

20. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Yeah...I would have won easily. I would have gotten 2 votes at least already. Except that now I voted for someone else.

21. Arditezza Banned Banned

But my vote is lost.

It says I have already voted and will not allow me to choose another.

Why was your name removed? And how can I get my vote back.

22. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

I apparently convinced Spurious in the other thread that overmoderation is the problem of the moment and he pulled out of the race (back in the nomination thread.) Either that or it may have been the headache factor. Not sure which.

I say that all the None of the Above votes should apply to Spurious as he doesn't desire the mod postion. The only fit ruler is one who doesn't desire power. See the Hitchhiker's Guide and the man who runs the universe for an excellent explanation of this.

In short, it's not that power corrupts. It's that power attracts the corruptable. Only those who don't desire power should be allowed to have it. Only those who don't wish power will use it responsibly.

Of course, if this were made commonplace, then we'd just have a bunch of politicians campaigning for their opponent all the while abjectly denying their own desire for power.

Even so, there is also something to be said for one who is bold enough to take power. To not hold it loosely and disrespectfully. A noble attitude that has been lost in the modern day of plebian ascendance. If one is to be a tyrant, be an honest tyrant. Make no bones about where the sceptre of power lies. And make no bones of your intents and purposes. A good tyrant doesn't quibble. A tyrant dictates.

23. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

I would have been a lousy moderator anyway. I wouldn't have done anything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.