No sound from PC

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by whitewolf, Aug 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

I got a Dell Dimension 8400 and connected my own speakers to it. The pc makes no sound. I've been told that the software that goes along with the soundcard may not be installed. I found no such thing on the cds that Dell sent, and besides all of that, everything is supposed to be pre-installed. I tried the troubleshooting, but that just got very confusing at the point where they started asking about sound devices.

There is no problem with the wires. I will most likely contact Dell via phone, but that will bring me more headache; I'd like to know very well what they'll be talking about before I call.

Uh, help! /snif.

EDIT: This is the sound card: Integrated 5.1 Channel Audio. There is a whole bunch of stuff in the device manager, and it says everything is working properly. So....

Last edited: Aug 29, 2004
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

Did you unplug the cable from the speakers when you moved to the new pc?, if not they are still correctly attach. Have you tried to put the cable into the "other places"(i lack a word

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

) it can go into on the pc, shift the cable around while you play something.
    - Do you have the the sound on mute
    - Have you checked you volume setting
    - Stand on 1 leg
    - is there any ? in the device manager

from here on its get increasingly more technical

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Ste_harris Net Ninja Registered Senior Member

Integrated 5.1 Channel Audio, this more than likely means that you've got a (Mobo) motherboard, with a built-in sound card, so i doubt thats the problem.
    Have you tried connecting these speakers to a walkman (anything with a head phone jack) to see if they work?
    Are they powered speakers? Does the power light come on when they're plugged in? Is there a fuse in the plug? Is it blown?
    Have you set the speakers up? If its only two stereo speakers then you need to alter the setting, Go Control panel>Sounds>Speaker settings: Advanced and check what type of speaker setup it is.
    There should be 5 miniature jacks for line in, line out (front, rear and center) and microphone at the back of your PC try playing some music then swapping the cable from each jack.

Or you could aways stand on 1 leg

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

You know, if it was about volume controls, I'd be a much happier camper!

Yes, sir, I've tried "other places."
    In the Device Manager, there's a whole bunch of things: Audio Codecs (location unknown; how can that be?), Legacy Audio Drivers (location unknown, nothing in the "device usage," and nothing in the "properties;" but says it's functioning properly), Legacy Video Capture Devices, Media Control Devices, SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio, Unimodem Half-Dublex Audio Device, Video Codecs. I'm confused.

My speakers worked fine before with the previous pc.

8. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

You have to check hardware first as stated, make sure your plugging the right jack into the right socket. I'm not sure if the card amps the output, so I'm guessing your speakers have to amp the input to generate the loud output, so make sure your speakers aren't just plugged in but are on (I'm guessing they need electricity to amp it).

Once you are sure you have the right socket make sure that your speakers haven't been muted by software on the computer, it's very easy to have something ticked or crossed with mute and stop any sound coming out.
    Control Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices pick the Volume tab and click the Advanced button near Device volume. Check there for what is and isn't muted.

9. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

Desktop stereo speakers. Nnope, no sound.

I made sure nothing is mueted. The "line in" was, but there's still no sound.

Yeah, nothing happened. There are no system sounds.

There is no power button or power light. All was fine on the previous pc.

10. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

Ah, nevermind, all is fine. Need different speakers. Thanks for support and help!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.