Longhorn to be released 2006

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Dreamwalker, Aug 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

Ok, looks like Microsoft has decided to release their new OS Longhorn in 2006 since it has been to long since the last release of an operating system (Win XP in 2001). So they have tuned down the hardware expectations and will take out some new programms and innovations as a result.
    So prominently there will be a new look and a (hopefully) improved code as well as some new features that XP is unable to perform.

For an article, go here:http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104_2-5189453.html

Or just search the net, but they all say the same anyway.

So, Longhorn will lose the things that gave it those incredible system requirements. Those features will be implemented in a new project called "Blackcomb".

But Longhorn will have the 3D user interface, there will be an XP update in 2006 that will feature the same.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

But Longhorn will have the 3D user interface

I thought that this already existed in the form of a keyboard and a mouse.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

Mmh, I think I meant 3D graphic design...

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

oh ok. How would that work on a flat screen?

8. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

The same way as on a normal screen I suppose.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Ok, but in what way is a 3D interface an improvement? I can't think of anything. Or even what it would look like.

10. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

Don´t know why it is an improvement, but as far as I know, it will look like the normal Windows interface, but you can move the windows and look at them from different angles... The windows interface will no longer be a surface, it will be a cube.

But I do not know what the use of it is...

11. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

It will . . . be a . . . CUBE? :bugeye: Now that's confusing.

12. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

Why is that confusing? Normally, the interface you see on the screen is a flat surface, isn´t it? That means it is 2 dimensional, it is defined by height and width. The new interface will add depth, making it 3 dimensional, hence it will be a cube.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2004
  13. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

***Automated response: Athelwulf's brain is currently short-circuted, and therefore cannot think at present.

14. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

I'll bet a 3D interface is much more processor friendly than a 2D interface.

I miss the good old DOS age where you had to type commands.

15. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

Well, originally, Longhorn was designed to run on PC with pocessors varying from 6 to 8 GHz, a very high amount of RAM and of course incredible powerful graphic cards.

Bt of course, Win 3.11 would run much faster than XP...

16. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

They should make a stripped down OS for gaming. A bit like we had DOS for games and Win3.11 for stupid work stuff.

17. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

In Linux you can change desktop environments. For office work it's flashy and pretty KDE, when system resources are needed (gaming, graphic rendering, etc) load up blackbox or fluxbox which hardly take up anything.

btw- 3D desktop has been in development with nice results on Linux for some time now. When Longhorn will be released I bet that a 3D Linux desktop environment will be released soon. The engine is already almost ready, the looks suck though (ugly colours , etc, but that's just because programmers are shitty designers)

p.s. I don't find 3D desktop conceptpually easier or faster the than 2D one.
    (seen screenshots, played with the beta version a bit)

18. Logically Unsound wwaassuupp and so on Registered Senior Member

is this gggggggg groovy?
    methinks it might be. i wanna see 3d displays.

19. dsdsds Valued Senior Member

ohhh... Maybe they'll put special effects sounds when you click your mouse or try to zoom in or out. Just like the movies. cooool!

20. Logically Unsound wwaassuupp and so on Registered Senior Member

well, you wont be able to zoom to far, otherwise youll start to see all the cracks getting bigger and bigger. hehe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.