website crap

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by John_angry, Aug 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John_angry Banned Banned

dear intillegent community,

Right I don’t know how to phrase this question (i dont belong in the intelligent community i guess

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

) but basically I'm making a site and I decided to make it for 1024x768 resolution as it is by quite a long way the most popular. The problem is I have a 17 inch monitor and 1024x768 resolution and I have made the site page wide enough so it just about touches the edge of MY computer screen. I was just wondering though becasue my site page fits into my copmputer without me having to scroll side ways, will it fit into ALL 1024x768 computers.

Also I have worked out that the site page is 26.5 cm's long (file>page setup> page width = 26.5cm) so will that fit onto All or most 1204x768 monitors???? or should i make the page smaller???

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

depends on the configuration of their browser i would say. Some people have the tab open on the side with bookmarks and other shit. Other people browse in windows instead of full screen.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. caffeine_fubar Dark Dementia is my name... Registered Senior Member

There is no way to know except for to find another computer that runs on this setting, then test it. Test a few actually. Also, try setting your computer to 800x600 and test it there... i would lower the setting on your webpage to a little less than the one that it is, and a little more than 800x600... therefor everyone can get close to seeing it without scrolling. I run mine at 1200x1024...

Well... good luck with your site, and post a link to it so i can see it and give you some comments =D

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. river-wind Valued Senior Member

such is the dilema of the fix-width page setup. the more functional, but more difficult method would be to make the page re-size based on the size of the browser window. Style Sheets and stuff. (Haven't learned the newest methods yet, myself.)

8. John_angry Banned Banned

thanks for the replies

forget about other resoloutions for now. 54% of people use 1024x768 and 35% use higher, 800x600 is now at an all time low and is contining to fall. it has gone down by 20% in a ywar or so.

anywaaaaaaaaaaaaayy,

forget about all the side borders and stuff, im just saying on an average screen, would 26.5 cms fit on a page.

and MOST inmportantly what im sayin is if a website fits on my commputer cos i use 1024x768 does that mean it will fit on ALL monitors using 1024x768

9. AntonK Technomage Registered Senior Member

trying to create a website for specific resolution is very outdated. Using CSS you can create a webpage that will scale with however the user scales their browser.

-AntonK

10. John_angry Banned Banned

thanks AntonK

hmmm, how exactly do you use CSS on Frontpage or Publisher??

11. John_angry Banned Banned

no one answered the ORIGIONAL question
    Right I don’t know how to phrase this question (i dont belong in the intelligent community i guess ) but basically I'm making a site and I decided to make it for 1024x768 resolution as it is by quite a long way the most popular. The problem is I have a 17 inch monitor and 1024x768 resolution and I have made the site page wide enough so it just about touches the edge of MY computer screen. I was just wondering though becasue my site page fits into my copmputer without me having to scroll side ways, will it fit into ALL 1024x768 computers.

Also I have worked out that the site page is 26.5 cm's long (file>page setup> page width = 26.5cm) so will that fit onto All or most 1204x768 monitors???? or should i make the page smaller???

12. John_angry Banned Banned

and im talking about SIDEWAYS scrollong by the way not up and down, sideways

13. river-wind Valued Senior Member

it will fit on all monitors with the same resultion, FAIAP. There are cases where it might not, but that's a matter for Computer Science, and not current web development. These cases might make up 0.00000001% of computers available in the world today.

No matter the inches of monitor, the resolution (1200x768 etc) will determine how much stuff will fit on the screen.

Don't forget to take into account the verticle space used by the taskbar, menubar, address bar, and tab bars often used by people these days. figure that about 1/5th of the vert. space may be taken up by browser and OS UI elements.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.