A question about animation software

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by cosmictraveler, Aug 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Which is the best, but cheapest to buy when starting out. I've been told Corel Bryce 5.0 is very good at only 50.00 US but is there anything better?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Ste_harris Net Ninja Registered Senior Member

If you have a decent speed conection (which im guessing you do) i'd download the latest free version of Maya, that is unless its for comercial reasons (everything rendered is watermarked).

Try looking up Bleem, i remember hearing good things about it a while back, not alot recently, but then again ive not been listening.

Use to have a pirate copy of 3DSMax R3 which was the greatest thing ever until my old harddrive went bang...

I've used an older version of bryce, and it was good at making landscapes but everything else was a bit... annoying and fiddily.

Truespace was good, v.easy to use (what i cut my animating teeth on) but was lacking...

Dont know if that helped you but good luck deciding on what to purchase

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

I've been using Amabilis here and there, but it's a work in progress so sometimes it might shut down which is unfortunate, however it was cheap and does allow bone stuctures for 3D objects. Of course if your going to go onto those sorts of packages you mights as well get Renderman under a student License.

8. Ste_harris Net Ninja Registered Senior Member

Hmm it must have been a long time ago when i heard of bleem, as its a PS1 emulator...
    I did mean blender but meh you got a link so my work here is done...

9. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Caligari trueSpace 6.6

trueSpace6.6 brings you more than you might be expecting from a point upgrade! Below is a brief overview of the benefits introduced in version 6.6:

Studica.com Student Discount Pricing Site Lic Upgrade $389.95Studica.com Student Discount Pricing Studica.com Student Discount Pricing
    Studica.com Student Discount Pricing Win CD $279.95Studica.com Student Discount Pricing Studica.com Student Discount Pricing
    Studica.com Student Discount Pricing Win Classroom Lic $969.95Studica.com Student Discount Pricing

That is very expensive, way over what I want to start out with but thanks anyway. I'll check out Bleem

10. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Looks interesting, thank you!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I downloaded it and will now read up on how it works.

11. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

Bryce. Recomended by a prof. of mine. ~$50.

Do tell how things go

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I'm considering to look into animation in near future (freedom).

EDIT: Price came out of my student software guide, spring 2003. In here, 3ds max 5 costs $499.98.... /daydreams.

12. river-wind Valued Senior Member

it depends on what you hope to animate.

2D? 3D? landscapes? people? home-designed aliens? everything?

Bryce is great for landscapes and trees (good tree generator is included).
    Poser is a quick and dirty person animator, though the built-in models haven't be updated in years now, and look very out of date.
    3D modeling and animation has a whole bunch of choices;
    for the beginer, Truespace/lightwave/Hash:Animation Master would be my first votes. 3DMax<SoftImage<Maya; all are very powerfull, are hard to use, and are very $$$$$.

2D animation, I tend to use flash, because it is everywhere, but there are other, better 2D animation applications out there.

edit: ooo, blender looks cool

Last edited: Aug 27, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.