which Linux

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Baal Zebul, Aug 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baal Zebul Somewhat Registered User Registered Senior Member

hey,

which linux would you suggest that one uses?

I was thinking Redhat, but i wanted to check around.
    All thoughts are welcome

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. kazakhan Registered Abuser Registered Senior Member

For a noob I'd say try Knoppix as it boots straight of a CD. Mandrake is also good for someone with little linux experience, but my personal preference is gentoo

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I enjoy Mandrake as a desktop/entertainment system quite much.

as regards gentoo.. it takes ages to set it up, compile all the stuff...
    besides I don't have a good inet connection
    It can't be reinstalled and set up from nil fast and that doesn't suit me at all.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

Well, Gentoo is great if you enjoy compiling and waiting, and compiling and waiting, and compiling and waiting...

Slackware will run almost just as fast (in fact I'm sure it boots faster than Gentoo) and has a sweet package management system.

Red Hat is pretty much dead now. You can install RH9 w/o problem but then Mandrake 10.0, the best newbie distro is:
    -newer
    -faster
    -supported

If you're a newbie and want a completely minimalistic Desktop, go with the Fedora Core spinoff, Cobind Linux:
    http://cobind.org

Or Fedora Core itself, which seems to be one of the most popular distro's in the community. Though I strongly wouldn't recommend it...

I recommend in this order: Slackware, Cobind, Gentoo, Mandrake 10.0, Fedora Core, RH9

8. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

How is Slackware installing these days? Would a newbie be able to do it?

--
    as for me, I've yet to try Slackware, but I don't have a spare box

Maybe I should try through VMware...

9. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

LOL...Anybody can install it. In fact I find the text installer so much easier and simpler than anything else, minux partitioning. For that I use the good old diskdrake on CD1 :m: The real 'problem' is setting it up exactly as you want. For example, the mousewheel isn't configured automatically as it is mandrake (its like that on purposely. Hardware detection is superb). Once you set everything to your personal tastes, I can't imagine going back.

Why not set aside 3 gigs on your current hard drive for slackware?

BTW, Happy 13th Birthday, Linux! Tux is a teenager now.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2004
  10. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Can it use the same /home as Mandrake?

11. Baal Zebul Somewhat Registered User Registered Senior Member

oops, maybe i should had written a longer post. It is for a course in school; i read Windows OS and Linux OS. So, i do not want the newbie stuff. It is pretty much optional which linux we use, but we will be going into the coding of it so i prefer not to use the simple since that might be even harder.

12. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

go slackware, it has a steaper learning curve, but you be happier with it in the end.

or Debian if you want to jump of the deep end

13. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

then I advice Slackware!
    if you're a fanatic -> Debian is the way to go
    Gentoo is an option too

14. Baal Zebul Somewhat Registered User Registered Senior Member

some friends of mine went with debian, some with redhat. i guess that ill have to go with debian then. But ill look into Slackware.

thanx for the help,
    /Rikard

15. Baal Zebul Somewhat Registered User Registered Senior Member

btw, what can you tell me about suse, it looks nice but is it what i am looking for?

16. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

SUSE is excellent. Its designed more for the end user and productivity, but I have a number of developer friends who swear by it. Lots of built-in tools and the performance/ease of use seems to be at the optimum level.

I would strongly advise you to stay away from Debian. If you want 'debian' (the package management, backbone etc) Go with libranet 2.8.1, mepis or something like that.

It can!

In fact thats the recommended way

17. Baal Zebul Somewhat Registered User Registered Senior Member

it is either slackware, suse or gentoo.

Which one would you pick?
    Xerxes, you said that gentoo was compiling and waiting, compiling and waiting all the time, but i reckon that it is better optimized.
    Slackware looks okay,
    Suse looks great.

Im leaning towards gentoo actually.

18. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Consider that if you'll be tinkering with the os much, then you'll need to do complete reinstalls much more frequently (something accidentaly messed up, etc). Especially at the start. Then it's much more less stress if you can set up the system fast.

gentoo indeed becomes better optimized, but after some days of compilation;
    you can set up a fresh copy of Slackware in minutes and you'[d need an atomic clock to notice the difference in speed imho

Last edited: Aug 25, 2004
  19. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

Gentoo looks 733t I know, but what Avatar said is exactly right. You won't really notice a speed difference, and if your habits are to experiment then you'll be dissapointed. Gentoo is designed for the people who know *exactly* what they want. And since you're new, you'll probably want to try out many apps until you get to that level.

So I recommend doing a full install of either suse or slackware, at least for now. The main difference between the two is that slackware takes out the middleman and forces you to learn (its also a little more stable). They're both great distro's

20. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

LFS is also worth looking into, if/when you get it to work you will have the best distro suited after your wants and needs

LFS : Linux From Scratsh a.k.a. build your own

21. Baal Zebul Somewhat Registered User Registered Senior Member

okay, you have convinced me, Slackware it is. Unless all my friends will use Suse, might just cave in to the group pressure and follow the flow.

22. Apeitheo ...decaying in the abyss Registered Senior Member

I'm using Gentoo 2004.1 currently. I'm getting tired of the compiling, so I'm going to be comparing Slackware 10.0 to Arch Linux 0.6. From what I've read thus far, Arch Linux seems to be what I'm looking for. A emerge/apt-get type app that downloads and installs the binary package, and sorts out dependencies as well, and has up to date packages, unlike Debian. I'll let everyone know when I'm done.

23. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

Does Debian not have the newest software, from what i read anmd heard there should be plentty of unstall stuff to choose, and are they just naot a picky about what they choose to call save

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.