The price of respect

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by water, Aug 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. water the sea Registered Senior Member

The price of respect

Yes, this thread is targeted exactly at the section I posted it in: SF Open Governement.

Unless we take things personally, we will never learn anything.

Ask yourself:
    Are you offended by a writing on a wall?
    Are you encouraged by it?
    Do you feel special after reading it?
    Do you feel opposed by it?

If you are, why so?
    If you are not, why so?

To take things personally means that the reader takes those words to heart, as words, and gives them thought. Then, the reader should think who is the one saying those words, and what this person is to the reader, and what the reader is to this person. -- This ought to make it clear whether there is an offence, or love, or respect -- or not.

In our times, we like to take everything personally, yet claim that we can be neutral. Really?

Who is the one offending *you* when you read "He who is reading this is a fuckwit!" written on a wall?
    The writer? You don't know the writer, you have no apparent relation to the writer.

So why be offended?

Because it is not "politically correct" to write such things?
    Why is it not "politically correct" to write such things?

Because your sense of self is so dependant on others, that you feel attacked if you encounter someone or something who doesn't think the way you do.

Because you refuse to stand up for yourself.

Because you know that if you stand up for yourself, others, on whom your personal worth depends so much, for so you think, will likely not respect you anymore. And you could not live this way, oh no.

So you swallow your will, and your pride and endure this misery -- and to make it bearable, you demand political correctness. You demand respect. And political correctness is the price of it.

What is Gendanken to you,
    or what are you to Gendanken?

Gendanken was banned for being a writing on a wall.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2004
  2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I was not offended by Gendanken's posts.
    Actually I quite enjoyed them and found them to be funny and sarcastic (I like sarcastic).
    too bad she's banned

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

I find things on a wall offensive if the writing is targeted specifically at me. That's how those who Gendanken offended felt.

You may think that the words on the screen are just words on the screen. But those words come from a person.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. water the sea Registered Senior Member

*You* are the one reading those words.

Who is to say what those words mean for you, but you?

8. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

Definitions are in dictionaries, not in someone's imagination.

9. water the sea Registered Senior Member

How you avoid the truth. You are trying to make others responsible for how you feel. And what is so completely absurd is that you are trying to make those who are nothing to you responsible for how you feel.

10. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

ME?! I, personally, never read an offence towards me written by Gendanken; or perhaps I forgot it.

I don't try to make others responsible for how I feel. But I do demand that others are responsible for what they say.

From experience, I've noticed it's better not to tell people that they are nothing to me.

11. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

That wasn't nice to ban her but she must have offended someone, who?

12. water the sea Registered Senior Member

And how do you do that -- how do you demand them to be responsible for what they say?
    What sanctions do you have if they don't comply with your demands?

And why is it better not to tell?

Why is it better to do as if they are something to you, while you feel nothing for them?

13. water the sea Registered Senior Member

Anyone who feels offended by a writing on a wall.

14. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

I hold people responsible for what they say by taking the meaning of words as it comes out, without saying "oh, maybe that's not to me, maybe they don't really mean that."

Sanctions, heh... Chill.

Pardon. People are people, not "nothing." That, actually, is respect.

15. water the sea Registered Senior Member

What is the point of demanding responsibility -- if nothing follows from not complying with this demand?

You said:

16. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

If I say people are responsible for what they say, it means I don't make excuses for them. What follows, is that if something offensive to me is said, I understand that person wants to offend me, and act accordingly. That is all. Drink some tea.

you said:

Anyways, I'm going for tea.

17. water the sea Registered Senior Member

And you act accordingly by going off for tea.

You just don't get it, do you?

EDIT: I know that you are watching. You are still not off for tea.

18. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

No, I see what you're saying with perfect clarity. But I disagree, as it appears.

What do you have against tea? Tea is good. Especially cold tea in hot weather.

19. water the sea Registered Senior Member

This is respect, ladies and gentleman, whitewolf is full of it.

20. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

Stalker

You appear to be a bit angry. How can you be angry, if this is merely type on the screen? Wrighting on the wall?

NOW I am going for tea.

21. SkippingStones splunk! Registered Senior Member

Why do we care what others think? Why does that affect our self image so much? Is this taught by society when we are young? Is it natural?
    I've always loved stories where the self-assured 'ignorant' man from the country comes to society and shows the modern people up, emotionally.

I am sorry Gendanken was banned.

It was healthy for me to have her to get my goat every so often, to 'practice' dealing with anger. BUT, I don't know the circumstances, that's the mods 'job'.

There should be an active way for Sciforums to reinstate people into it's society. Some way to further examine the problem so it's not just, "So and so got banned cause they called Billy an asshole." I know, moderation is a lot more complicated than that. I picture Sciforums as more than just discussion, as a community. :m:

22. water the sea Registered Senior Member

She replies with APPEAR.

Yes, I am angry, and more than that: I am furious, that there are people in the world who "stand up for themselves" by trying to emotionally blackmail others, accuse them on the basis of "appear".

Weakenss is indeed something that makes one mad.

23. water the sea Registered Senior Member

I've read your post SkippinStones, but I've got late at night here, and I must go to bed. Come back later.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.