Xp service pack 2

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by sargentlard, Aug 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Anyone install it yet?

Just got done installing it and so far nothing broken. Some of the smaller softwares don't work now and for some reason it doesn't read Norton anti-virus as active when Norton is working just fine.

Lets see what other new surprises arise.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Where did you get it from? I was just checking for it yesterday and there was nothing. I see that today they've updated the update software, but SP2 is still not available. Did you download the IT professional version?

Edit: Ugh. I already see that the new version of the update software is annoying. The only way to read the description of a particular update is by clicking on it. Mucho pain in the asso.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Through Automatic update. Face it invert...XP loves me more.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I think this update has actually made my PC boot up slower.

EDIT: WTF???? Everytime I try to open up control panel the whole PC freezes and I get a stupid ass message saying Dr. Postmartem has stopped working.

What the hell is Dr. Postmartem?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

What the hell? Is it because I have automatic update off and update manually? That's a bunch of crap.

MMMMAAAAADDDDD AAAATTTT M$!!

Bastards. Ok, if that's what they want, I'll turn the stupid crap on for a couple of minutes and I BETTER get the friggin update. And it better not screw my system up or I'm going to Redmond to raise some hell. It's only about a half hour drive from where I live, you know.

8. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Oh wow. That's weird. I just went to my system properties panel and it's different! Updating the update software from the update site affected my system panel. Weird. Autoupdate is still off though. At first I thought that SP2 had slipped in with me unawares.

You know what's a pain? I'm gonna have to go through settings and turn off the default on settings for windows firewall and all that. I've got a router and have no need for a personal firewall. If I did need a firewall, I'd need to stop things from going out not in. I don't think the updated windows firewall has changed in that regard.

Do you use IE, Sarge? Does the popup blocker work?

9. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Motherfucking Microsoft....nothing works...GAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't open anything without PC freezing...what the hell??????

Someone tell me Microsoft has some updates for this shit.

10. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Ok now this is starting to get really annoying. This update has done more harm than good.

Anybody have any idea what Dr. Watson Postmartem debugger is? Everytime I try to opne My computer, control panel, My documents it freezes the whole PC.....I can't access my hard drive manually but clicking on other installed applications icons works on the desktop.

Anyone?

11. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

What's weird is that I can't get it. I set my auto update for 10 pm and 10 pm came and went with nothing happening. I wonder if you didn't get some kinda weird virus or something.

I set it to 11 to try again so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Been looking at the windows site looking for information on your problem, but found no mention of doctor postmartem. I even tried doctor postmortem to no avail. Maybe I should've just tried postmartem/postmortem without the doctor. Was it doctor or dr.?

Hopefully you archived your files so that you can undo it if the problems don't get solved.

Try looking on the windows update site. There's links to SP2 info and troubleshooting. That's what I'm doing right now.

Hell, here's a link. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=884130&product=windowsxpsp2

Edit: Just saw Dr. Watson. That's been around a while. It analyzes application crashes. Doesn't do much for a layman though. Never heard that postmartem thing though.

12. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

13. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

well, that must be a new feature of Dr. Watson in XP or something. I haven't seen that before, but Dr. Watson is the NT debugger agent service that runs on NT machines, logging crashes and such. I think it's supposed to offer solutions to configuration problems but I don't know if I've ever found it useful. Could be my ignorance. I don't even understand active directories. For shame.

oh, and SP2 isn't available to me yet either. i wonder if they're doing it on selective domains at first - or something like that.

14. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Where you from Sargentlard? That's a good question. Maybe they're trying out on you foreigners first.

I live in Seattle and no update here. 11:00 has come and gone and no update.

Sounds like it for the best from what you got going on.

15. §outh§tar is feeling caustic Registered Senior Member

He probably downed the manufacturer's version and got screwed. Ha!

---

There is NO need to install XP2 if you don't use Internet Explorer and already have an antivirus/firewall. Trust me.

16. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

SP2 for XP seems to work just fine for me.

17. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

18. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Firstly there was alot of hype about programs not going to work with SP 2 (People were even told to avoid it). This was mainly due to Microsoft rather than fixing exploitable code, they have disabled it until they eventually have a patch and this is the main reason some stuff doesn't work.

Secondly Doctor Watson has been round since I think 3.1.1 but definitely win95, as suggested it is a diagnostics program and allows (or allowed) certain methods of capturing a look at the system when it works, to then work out when a problem occurs what went wrong.

I would guess if you wanted to stop your crash you would need to stop Certain daemons from attempting to run. (Like the Dr Watson thingy.)

19. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

How would I go about doing that?

20. Gifted World Wanderer Registered Senior Member

THe only reason IE is on my computer is that Norton requires it to do scans.

My computer was wierd anyway. I told it to download the update, but it didn't.

21. fadingCaptain are you a robot? Valued Senior Member

I think I'll wait a couple weeks....Then I can just get the SP2 patch also

22. Apeitheo ...decaying in the abyss Registered Senior Member

23. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.