I F%&^% hate MS WORD!

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by dsdsds, Aug 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dsdsds Valued Senior Member

MS Word has to be the worst word processor EVER!!
    I can't delete a page break.
    When I try to insert auto page numbering in the footer It marks "page 1" on page 2.
    And don't get my started on section numbering. Argghhhh!

p.s. this is not a "I hate Microsoft" thread but really! You would think that it would be fairly easy to create and improve a word processor. MS Excel is great. Powerpoint is Ok. MS Access is great

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. dsdsds Valued Senior Member

Oh God I can't believe this shit. I've been trying to format this document all afternoon. Amazing. I'm about throw my screen out of my office. (I wish I had a window). F^*&^;n amazing. I can program in assembly, but I can't figure out how to format word documents. My backspace doesn't work! why the fuck can't I delete this number. Time to pick up smoking again...

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

I feel your pain. MSWord tries to be clever and it more or less tells you what you want to do and won't let you say otherwise. I've been using MSWordXP at college for the last year...there are days when I just stay at home because Word pisses me off so much.

They need to make an expert version of word that takes away most of the automatic processes. The dumbed down version is ironically very difficult to use.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. §outh§tar is feeling caustic Registered Senior Member

I use MS Office 20003. This version seems to be stable and nice for me.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Try copying and pasting into a new document, works sometimes.

8. dsdsds Valued Senior Member

I've started reading up on TeX. TeX is a typesetting program and part of a system that separates content and format functions. It's been around forever but it's the first I've heard of it. An interesting article attacking word processors and explaining the "evils of WYSIWYG" is here. Anyone know of or ever used TeX or LaTeX?

9. rGEMINI Fallen Entity Registered Senior Member

i don't use TeX, but i suggest www.openoffice.org as a word processing. It's free It's open source and its good ^^

10. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

i usually resort to copying pasting the document into notepad or something similar and then back into word. That usually gets rid of all formatting and then I can try to get it right again. Until MSword kicks in with its nasty effects again and I start pulling out the hairs from my head.

11. Apeitheo ...decaying in the abyss Registered Senior Member

I've used OpenOffice on several occasions, and it is good, and
    open source which I like. Although personally I prefer Abiword, which can be found at www.abisource.com. It just doesn't have as many features as OpenOffice does.

12. Aborted_Fetus Bored Registered Senior Member

bing! it looks like you're writing a letter!

13. shoffsta Geek Registered Senior Member

14. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

dsdsds:

I empathize with you.

To remove the page break, you have to actually go into one of the formatting dropdown menus. Can't remember which or where right now.. but it is definitely in there..
    Bizzaro design, yes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.