java is killing me

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Lucas, Aug 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lucas Registered Senior Member

I recently adquired a P4, but without java installed it seems, so there were webs were I entered and appeared me a message like this "you need to download the java virtual machine", but I didn't do, because bad experiences with past computers, but finally I bit the ham and downloaded. Now my internet paradise has transformed in a grotesque hell, I can't enter in many pages because it appears me this page
    http://www.ntsearch.com/iresults.php?qq=Amazon
    every time I try to enter in Amazon or other webs. In the webs that i can eneter, some words appear strangely marked
    Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

I found this while looking for some help for you:

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/adware.ntsearch.html

Follow the instructions there, or if your capable of fixing your machine:
    Open your task manager and look for what is out of place. Then tell it to close the process.

Once the process is closed you will have to find out where the file that was loaded was saved, you should be able to delete that, however you'll need to clean the registry of it's startup entry.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Voodoo Child Registered Senior Member

That is not related to java. Java is generally very secure with very few viruses exploiting it(and even then they do f-all). Java applets are prohibited from adding executables to your system, writing to the registry, etc etc. This is most likely linked to Kazaa/ Outlook Distress/IE. There is a patch for distress, although you shouldn't use Outlook (or IE), IMHO(try opera, firefox, the bat, pegasus), and you should use Kazza Lite. By doing that you make your computer about 50 times safer.

Your particular problem is the result of MSs half-assed internet security manager which doesn't adequately verify the trust level of particular url and so runs it as if it were on the local machine. If only it were half as stringent as the JVM..

This can be fixed with adaware, Spybot or any other ad-ware remover.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.