AMD vs MAC vs Intel

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Closet Philosopher, Aug 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Closet Philosopher Off to Laurentian University Registered Senior Member

I'm shopping for a new computer. I have been an avid AMD user for quite some time. It was mostly because my older cousins who were in computer college always told me to go with AMD because their CPUs where more stable, more efficient and faster. I'm starting to doubt that. My laptop that I have right now (and am in the precess of selling) has and AMD 2600+ processor and it seems kind of slow. I'm hopefually going to sell it soon. After I sell it, with the $ from my job, I will have about $4000 Canadian to spend on computers. As a student who will be attending University soon, I am unsure what would be best for school. THere are my options:

1. Get an full out awesome laptop for gaming, mobile use and all my apps. It might look similar to this one: http://global.acer.com/products/notebook/fr3200.htm

2. Get an awesome Mac Desktop and a crappy laptop.

3. Get an awesome MAC Laptop, no desktop, probably the 15 inch power book. THe problem with Macs are that all my pirated software won't work, so I am straying away from Macs.

4. Get an awesome gaming computer and buy a laptop that is just for word processing (probably a 600 Mhz IBM off of eBay)

5. Get a super desktop and no laptop.

6. Ge tthe Mac G5 and a crappy laptop

7. Get a tablet PC: http://viewsonic.com/products/desktopdisplays/tabletpc/ and a mediocre Pc

8. Get a mediocre PC and an OK laptop.

Many of you on tis forum are students. Do most students have laptops? What kind seems to work best on campus? Will my pirated games work on MAC? Would a super laptop work just as well as a super desktop?

I'm not sure if I should get an AMD-based LAptop and desktop or Intel systems. Intel and AMD are better at different things... I suppose. Would one chipset work better for a desktop than a laptop? Are MACs really that great?

I'm kind of confused, as you can tell. Maybe someone could help me out.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Intel is more stable and needs less cooling (from my experience)
    I have no laptop so I can't help you more

p.s. you won't be able to play any non-mac games on a mac (there are such mac games?! I know of none!)

p.p.s. with Cedega (www.transgaming.com) you can play many Windows games on Linux.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. The Singularity The last thing you'll ever see Registered Senior Member

I have a AMD 2600+ processor on my desktop and I find that the AMD processor is more stable than Intel but as Avatar stated, Intel requires less cooling and thus the fan for AMD built computers runs longer ... sometimes it runs continuously all day.

I may already have a desktop, but I'm searching for a laptop computer (either a AMD or an Intel model) for its mobility, not for gaiming ... especially the models that are between 3 and 6 pounds. With Wi-Fi spreading everywhere and with most major university campuses (like mine) with a Wi-Fi network already set up ... a laptop is tempting as you don't have to search for a computer to write up a paper.

If you are more interested in gaming, then a laptop is not the best solution unless you buy a 3000$ and up model and you're willing to have a 8 - 12 pound machine to carry around.. However, they don't quite match the power of a desktop when it comes to gaming.

It really depends what you're into. If you see yourself as a gamer most of the time ... then get a powerful desktop and an average laptop if there is enough money. If you see yourself on the word processor and prefere mobility most of the time ... then get a powerful laptop with an average desktop.

As for processors, as I said ... AMD runs hot most of the time but is very stable ... Intel runs cooler but isn't as stable than the AMD ... MAC is from what I heard the best of the three but is incompatible with most games and some popular software. Also, when it comes to laptops, the best kind of processor are the ones designed for mobility ... like the Intel Centrino and the AMD - M chipset. They are designed to run longer on one charge than the Intel Pentium 4 and the AMD/AMD 64 desktop chipsets ... which is better suited for gaming oriented laptops.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2004
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

i always run intel never had any problems with stability on the other hand it is my experiant thats its first in the later years AMD have become stable,

I had a intel 2.4 processor running with the boxset cooler at 3 Ghz without any problems, the cpufan was not even running at full speed.

Going mac will lock you up in a small little world imo.

personly i would go for a powerfull PC and the best laptop the remaning money can buy, if a laptop is needed, Intel processors ofcause

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. Closet Philosopher Off to Laurentian University Registered Senior Member

If I were to go all out on a laptop, I would get this one: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=1019704&sku=S334-1002 it weighs less than 7 lbs. and it costs less than a mac 15-inch with middle specs. If I were to get a G5 Mc, then I would have power, but nothing to run off of it. I might get a middle Tablet PC: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1010630&Sku=N122-1089

and a good desktop: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=770406&CatId=114

I don't plan on doing that mucjh gaming in University, but when I DO game, I want it to be efficient and enjoyable. I will probably build a better desktop for less. I love recieveng all my components in pieces and putting them together, it's also about $100-250 cheaper.

Does it look like I am making a good choice?

9. dsdsds Valued Senior Member

The desktop you linked:

Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition
    Intel® Pentium 4 - 3.2GHz HT Processor Learn More
    800MHz FSB Hyperthread
    1GB (1024MB) DDR PC3200 Memory Learn More
    Dual Channel DDR400
    160GB SATA150 7200 RPM Hard Drive
    Chieftec Dragon 400w Tower (Green)
    Clear Gamer Side Panel
    8X DVD+-RW Drive w/Software (Black)
    16X DVD-Rom Drive w/Software (Black)
    3.5" 1.44MB Floppy Drive (Black)
    256MB DDR NVIDIA GF FX5600 AGP 8x Video
    Intel Gigabit 10/100/1000Mbps Ethernet NIC
    US Robotics 56K Fax/Modem
    Dolby 5.1 Surround Sound Audio
    Wireless Internet Mouse (Green)
    Wireless Internet Keyboard (Green)
    1-Year Limited Manufacturer Warranty
    Monitor & Speakers Sold Separately

.. is top of the line pretty expensive at CA$2072. I don't understand why "gaming" computer cases have to look like this:

and video cards have to look like this:

10. Baal Zebul Somewhat Registered User Registered Senior Member

well, it is very common that when you don't have the functionallity you have the design

11. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

those flameballs look like causing much trouble to my cooling setup

12. Baal Zebul Somewhat Registered User Registered Senior Member

i have an alternative theory about those flames!
    Those disks are spinning so fast that the color has melted and have created a nice pattern.
    So how about that ?

13. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

Whats wrong with wanting something that looks good. I have a kabinet like that green one, except mine is blue and with out a window, its a good kabinet things are well spaced and the disk bays use a swing out system so they are easy to attach ect.

If you only play rarely go for a powerfull laptop and a smaller pc, if you know how to put it together yourself you can get a good desktop for a fair abount of money.
    In the end you should ask your self what you want and what you need, none of which we can really know

oh yea dont by mac, mac is evil, you want a PC... with a Intel CPU

14. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

15. Baal Zebul Somewhat Registered User Registered Senior Member

yeah kunax, me too, except mine is niether blue nor green, it is black and yeah it does not have those extra design features. But otherwise it is pretty much the same thing.

By the way, buy the Mac, then it will atleast work. Or buy the PC if you like challange.

16. Baal Zebul Somewhat Registered User Registered Senior Member

nice one avatar

17. Closet Philosopher Off to Laurentian University Registered Senior Member

I was just showing that Gaming COmputer as an example of the kind of specs I'm looking for. I can configure something better for $1500 Canadian. I hate the way that case looks. I generally don't like fancy case mods and "gamer" styles.

A451-2130 :: Artec 52x24x52x CD-RW / 16x DVD / Black / CD Burner

B145-2040 :: BenQ / 4x4x12x DVD+RW / 16x10x32x CD-RW / Nero Express / DVD Burner

I800-3004 :: HiVal / 4x2x12x DVD±RW / 24x10x40x CD-RW / Dual Format / DVD Burner

P456-3100 BK :: Powmax - CP769PL - ATX Mid-Tower Case with Front USB and 400Watt Power Supply -Black

CP2-P4-530 C :: Intel Pentium 4 530 3.0Ghz / 1MB Cache / 800 FSB / Socket 775 / HyperThreading / Processor

THD-1600HH8 :: Hitachi 160GB / 7200 / 8MB / ATA-100 EIDE Hard Drive

S450-5200 :: Soyo Multi-Media Keyboard & Optical Mouse Combo

A455-1054 :: Asus P5GD1-VM Intel Socket 775 Motherboard / Integrated Video / 8-Channel Audio / 10/100Mbps Ethernet LAN / USB 2.0 / Serial ATA / RAID

C44-5020 OEM :: Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 PCI Sound Card (OEM)

P450-8511 :: XFX GeForce FX 5700 LE / 256MB DDR / AGP 8X / VGA / DVI / TV Out / Video Card

K24-5200 :: Kingston Dual Channel 1024MB PC3200 DDR 400MHz Memory (2 x 512MB)

Total:$1,462.83 Canadian

18. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

AMD: Cheap: highest performance for your money ratio

Intel: Not so cheap, but if your will to spend like crazy you can get the best performance available.

Apple: for stylish geeks, stubborn nerds and idiots with money, only.

My computer is a heavily overclocked Barton 2500, 512MB DDR400, Kt600 motherboard, Radeon 9800 Pro 128 video card, all home assembled off newegg.com, price tag.... oh about ~$500 maybe, I did use my old case, keyboard, monitor, ect from my Athlon 1200

Last edited: Aug 11, 2004
  19. Closet Philosopher Off to Laurentian University Registered Senior Member

I guess I'll have to see hwo much gaming I will actually be doing when I get to University...

20. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

21. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Get a mediocre PC and an OK laptop. You can always upgrade as you go with the PC.

22. dsdsds Valued Senior Member

Isn't heat the enemy of electronic boards? If Intel boards runs cooler, doesn't it mean that it is more efficient and therefore more stable? What about durability?

23. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.