Doom Iii

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by sargentlard, Aug 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Holy Christ.....how much juice does this fucker need to run?

2.8ghz P4 doesn't seem to be enough for this puppy to run smoothly at 1280X1024.

Beautiful graphics though.....but still....I can't even imagine running this game at anything under 2.5ghz.....it barely runs at eye candy quality on Recommended specs.

Did anyone else also have a 49 minutes long Installation? 49 minutes??? Damn.

But so far looks good besides the rude ass fucker employees and anti-social guards...I hope they die, all of em.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. grazzhoppa yawwn Valued Senior Member

There are tons of "tweaks" to get it to run more smoothly. Search on google for doom 3 performance boost or tweaks. I have a 1.7ghz Pentium 4 (400 fsb), 266mhz 768MB ram, and a 128MB Radeon 9500 (non pro) running on AGP 4x, and with tweaks from various websites, mostly dealing with how much ram you tell Doom 3 to use, I've gotten it to play at 15-30 fps average, with it dipping to 5 fps when lots of enemies/gun fire appear. I'm still immensely enjoying the game, even with crappy frame rates. All the tweaks I did were in-game, nothing tweaked for Windows itself.

I have the display options set to Low Quality, turned off high quality special effects, turned on V-Sync, 1024x768 res. Even with "low quality" settings, the game looks absolutely gorgeous.

And watch out for which mods you download, because there was a co-op multiplayer mod that was stealing people's cd keys a few days after the game was released.

Oh, my install took 15-20 minutes max.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Do you know the names of the safe mods?

The game drops to unplayble frame rates when even one zombie appears with few effects going on in the background. Obviously getting clawed to death while your gun moves at 1 frame a second isn't fun.

Must say though.....incredible graphics. I can only imagine playing this game on PC that does it justice. I have it set on high quality and so many of the areas look photorealistic with THE most incredible lighting work I have ever seen in a videogame.

ID software is gonna make some serious money licensing this engine to other publishers. I wouldn't be surprised if this engine becomes the staple of new games that come out along with Half-Life 2's engine.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

so this is one of those games you should wait for it to come out on budget because at that point the computer hardware has caught up with the software?

8. Alpha «Visitor» Registered Senior Member

9. Baal Zebul Somewhat Registered User Registered Senior Member

well, i think it is a great game as long as you dont shoot or take your eyes of the floor

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. grazzhoppa yawwn Valued Senior Member

http://ucguides.savagehelp.com/Doom3/FPSVisuals.htm
    Creating a autoexec.cfg file and putting in lines found on that page will help get some more performance out of Doom 3, but some of the eye candy will be sacrificed. You can customize what effects you want to trade off for smoother gameplay with commands put into the autoexec file.

http://www.viperlair.com/articles/howto/software/tweakd3/
    Here's another site for Doom 3 tweaks.

I have no idea what are the "safe" mods that are out there. Personally, I wouldn't use any mods until other people have tested them, found them to work, and left feedback on them. From what I've seen, there has been little discussion/feedback for the mods that are currently out there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.