Task Manager disaster

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by curioucity, Aug 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. curioucity Unbelievable and odd Registered Senior Member

Hello all

There's another problem with my PC rightnow (GOD!!!!!). My XP can't open the Task Manager, that is, when I press Ctrl Alt Del, the Task Manager appears briefly, then disappears at will. Can somebody help me here? I can't shut down useless programs that way....
    Speaking of which, there's been some programs running in my PC, and the problem is, those programs are not the ones I install, which means they're rouge programs. One is CTFMON, which pops up back after awhile, and another one (forgot the name) which pops up only when I restart the PC. Can someone suggest a good way to permanently remove them?

thanks in advance.....

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

remove them (spyware/adware) with ADAWARE => check google for their website/free download
    anyways.. I'm guessing your pc is infested

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

fdisk, any quicker then that and you have to get physical

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

no shit?! fdisk

8. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

If you've got XP PRO, go to your commandline through typing CMD in the RUN prompt box.

You can now use TASKLIST to pull up a command line method of seeing whats currently running. Use TASKLIST/? to view other commands.

You can also use TASKKILL to "Kill" a task thats running on the system.

i.e.
    TASKKILL /FI "IMAGENAME eq MSBLAST*"
    This command would kill any process that begin with the name MSBLAST, like MSBLAST.exe or MSBLASTER.exe or MSBLAST.vbs etc.

9. curioucity Unbelievable and odd Registered Senior Member

Stryder, thanks for that, tho that doesn't work...
    and, FDISK? Whoa....... I hate that, but if I'm cornered, guess there's no other way.... sigh, I have no backup yet.....
    Oh, and as if those weren't enough, now I can't start my McAfee anti-virus. Bad deal?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2004
  10. curioucity Unbelievable and odd Registered Senior Member

Well, I finally choose to re-format my windows partition............ and the aftermath is just plain hell.... I have to set everything up from the very ground zero! GOD!!!!!! Thing have just been good for a few hours, I wonder....

11. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Didn't you do that before? I seem to remember another adware/virus thread by you in the past. Or did you take the half-assed route the last time which likely led to this outcome?

Good luck with your next go-round.

Are you on broadband? Do you have a router? If yes to the former and no to the latter, I suggest you get one. With a hardware firewall, a software firewall is almost unnecessary. It's only real purpose is to see what's calling out. Almost never activates for anything coming in.

And stop installing Hotbar, for Gods Sake!!!

Good luck.

Oh, by the way, I think ctfmon is a windows program. It's not running on my xp machine, but I seem to remember it from when I used to run the older os's.

12. Voodoo Child Registered Senior Member

CTFMON is associated with office. It shouldn't be a problem. It is a process and not a program. Processes aren't necessarily installed, whereas prgrams usually are. When you use explorer, for eg, you use iexplore.exe, svc., and other things java.exe., winlogon perhaps.

13. curioucity Unbelievable and odd Registered Senior Member

nexus, well, yes, somewhat, but this is the first time I finally re-format my drive (I've never done that before), and for your suggestion, I'll try that. Thanks.
    and Voodoo, oh.......

By the way, this hasn't happened to me before. Right now, everytime I browse a thread in sciforums, open some webpages like lycos mail and some other thing, I got a message box saying there's a runtime error which says there's a null in a line (exm: line 19, nullis null, not an object) and prompt me to debug (of course, why should I?). Can someone tell me how to disable this error message?

14. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Using IE? Obviously. Go to Tools/Internet Options/Advanced then click Disable Script Debugging.

Or, get firefox and save yourself headaches from spyware, adware, popups, and general all-around microsoft badness. You also get tabbed browsing with Firefox. (SWEET) and with adblock you don't have to see so many ads. If you're interested, I can give you a link to Alpha's post on how to set up adblock for firefox. Or, maybe he'll post it in here. He's just that kinda guy.

15. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

To correct problems with IE installal firefox -> www.mozilla.org.
    this is my standart solution to luser whining about IE.

Luser : whin whin whin IE sucks whin whin whin MS blablabla whin whin
    Kapow : firefox installed
    luser : what....

Nexus: yea i also remeber curioucity other thread he should have reinstall back them

Do i reinstall, hell no, not before everything is crashing left and right

16. curioucity Unbelievable and odd Registered Senior Member

lolz. Thanks for the suggestions

Looks like I'm always in trouble.... sorry if I've been bugging you with relatively similar problems....

PS: That Debugging prompter hasn't disappeared yet... so, I'll take it, maybe I need a good browser for this?

PS#2: I've just used Firefox the first time. Well, nothing much to see yet, so I'll go on for some more time.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2004
  17. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

some people have an uncanny ability to fuckup computers, perhaps your 1 of them

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.