System Speed Increase?

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Rick, Aug 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rick Valued Senior Member

Hi,

i am just trying to increase the System Speed.I need some answers.I have CMOS error coming up after i changed the jumper settings.I tried to take battery out to reset CMOS,but that hasnt helped either.
    I am really concerned,My PC has stopped Booting.

what have i done wrong?

bye!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Alpha «Visitor» Registered Senior Member

Clearing the CMOS won't help if you didn't put the jumpers back correctly.
    Some motherboards won't boot properly, if at all, if the jumpers for the CPU speed are set to certain numbers. Since you messed with the jumpers, you'll have to keep messing with them until you find a setting that will let you boot. Once you do, I suggest you double check your BIOS settings, since you cleared the CMOS.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. philocrazy Banned Banned

to get it to run at maximum
    give it a nice hug and kiss

Philosopher Philocrazy

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

I remember watching a movie a long time ago called Electric Dreams. I think that was the name. Anyway, it was in the 80's and likely an 8088 processor or something that starred in the movie. The guy bought it and brought it home and decided that it sucked. So, he was getting drunk and commiserating with himself that he might have made a bad decision since he had no use for this thing. When he accidently spilled champagne in the keyboard. That's right, the keyboard. Well. The next thing you know this computer is falling in love with the neighbor girl who played a mean cello and all sorts of hilarious hijinks ensued.

Heh. Sorry about that. I always did love that movie for some dumb reason. The computer actually listened to her music and though they didn't mention it specifically, used her music to increase it's awareness. And all due to a short-circuited keyboard.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Seriously, yeah, sounds like you're jumpers are still screwy. If you physically changed jumpers then resetting cmos ain't gonna do diddley.

8. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

it would be nice if your could tell us what it says!

9. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

Of course, reset the jumper(s) to their prior position.

What motherboard and CPU do you have?

10. Rick Valued Senior Member

PC's booting Now,But CMOS error still persists.P-III 933 MHZ,Intel...
    bye!

11. Rick Valued Senior Member

and it freezes up quite frequently...
    like when Win Xp Boot screen comes up...

bye!

12. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Sounds to me like some form of I/O error. You should check how your RAM and processor have been inserted as any slight misalignment could cause problems. (Originally I laptop I was give had a black screen purely because the graphics chip was slightly higher than where it should have been, so it needed tightening down)

Also if you have an old toothbrush, it can be handy to remove the dust from around your chipset.

Since your having problems with the BIOS I would guess that suggesting to check how your cables are connected might not aid in any form, for instance if your running your drives on CB (Cable select) try altering your drives to have their jumpers aligned to Master(MS) and Slave(SL). I suggest this as CB is done by through the BIOS, so it can cause remittant errors through Latency.

13. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

what CMOS error are you getting. If it freeze up all the time it could be running hot, or getting to little power, clock it down to see if it stabalizes

14. Alpha «Visitor» Registered Senior Member

You changed the jumpers, so we'd need to know the motherboard make, not the CPU specs.
    State the CMOS error specifically, and check your motherboard manual. If you don't have it, get it online.

15. Rick Valued Senior Member

Came from Compaq Presario,will check it up.The error is Cyclic Redundancy Error.
    Strydie,
    Cyclic Error is generated when the settings are changes in CMOS as i would guess,but i have already tried to reset it several times,doesnt work.And my RAM is not misaligned

Kunax,i think that might be the problem,can Peltier Sink get this problem right?...Will have to check up with MB make right now...

bye!

16. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

In that case Zion it's your RAM.
    It's probably attempting to use ECC RAM when you have NON-ECC.

So look in your CMOS settings for any settings you can alter in regards to your RAM type.

17. Rick Valued Senior Member

Well,it was extra heat folks! my PC cannot take it! extra speed is too much for this beastie!

,i have turned it back to normal level.Its okay now,although it could have been worse.Thanks for help guys...

bye!

18. philocrazy Banned Banned

next time you overclock the cpu
    it may be too late for hugs and kisses
    this guy knows computers!!!!!!
    cpu makers know less huh???

Philosopher Philocrazy

19. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

apparently he does know conputers
    how else would he be able to play wit it
    what do you know about computers
    what have cpu makers got to do with anything