Trying to make a DVD.. Having troubles

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by SaPhZ, Aug 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SaPhZ Registered Senior Member

I just downloaded a video file off of the internet, and I'm trying to get it onto a DVD so that its playable.. I am not to sure about the process, but I am having troubles with this specific video file. None of my video converters recognise the video format (It's not XViD, DiVX, MPEG 1/2, OOG), its a 35 minute video with sound at 698MB in file size.

GSpot says it cant recognise, but likely .MPG .MPEG or .VOB
    When I rename the file to .VOB, Power DVD won't read it, and every MPG/MPEG converter I have found says it isn't a valid MPG file. It plays fine in Windows Media player, and I do have codec packs installed.

I tried DivFix: it says its not a valid AVI file.. So what is it? Any ideas? Thanks.

P.S. - Would be great if anyone knows how to turn AVI's into .VOB, etc. files for proper DVD burning.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. firdroirich A friend of The Friends Registered Senior Member

Get a hex editor. Look in the file to see what it's default extension is so you know what type of file you working with.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. §outh§tar is feeling caustic Registered Senior Member

Well for starters it would be nice for you to determine the extension.

Turn on the Show extensions option and check that out. And then possibly use VDub to do the rest.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

Turning off "Hide File Extensions of Known File Types" is a good idea anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.