DVD with ads on it!

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Captain_Crunch, Jul 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Captain_Crunch Club Ninja Valued Senior Member

I just bought a new DVD and to my horror it had ads on the start up just like you used to get with VHS videos back in the day. I am shocked, Ive never had a DVD like this before. What do you guys think of this?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Rick Valued Senior Member

...that you have bought a pirated one?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

bye!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Alpha «Visitor» Registered Senior Member

What movie? Where'd you buy it? If you buy the movie legit you shouldn't have to view ads. I'd boycott whoever's responsible for the ads.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

I've seen it once too. Can't remember which one. I think it was a movie for children. They like to start young with indoctrination.

8. Communist Hamster Cricetulus griseus leninus Valued Senior Member

AAAARRRGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ADVERTS!
    Why? We bought it to watch at home! Isn't our home safe from adverts? Is there anywhere in our entertainment network that is safe from advertising?

9. vslayer Registered Senior Member

is nothing sacred anymore?, we bought dvds so that we dont have to watch ads!!!
    to fix:
    go to scene select and select scene 1. that skips the ads/intro

10. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

advertising killed the video star

11. Neildo Gone Registered Senior Member

My first DVD I owned that had ads was iGone in 60 Seconds. Lol, and that's the movie title, not what I did with the DVD after seeing the ads.

Anyhow, it had a bunch of ads for Fox movies (I think it was Fox) and it showed a bunch of clips of their movies and then there were two movie previews for Mission to Mars (or something similar) and also Shanghai Knights. Those at least had to do with movies but damn, I rented one movie from Blockbuster awhile back and it had a TON of previews and then it had some ads that had nothing to do with movies, I think it was home decoration or gardening or something to do with homes, ugh, wtf!

- N

12. Captain_Crunch Club Ninja Valued Senior Member

It was Starsky and Hutch 2004! It is a legit product, at least I believe it to be as it was bought out of a highstreet shop that Ive bought other DVDs out of with no ads! It isnt a big named DVD/Music retailer but another small scale one.
    Ok, I know that it aint the best film in the world but I found it entertaining and it was at a good price.

It isnt even a rental copy as it says on it: "NOT FOR RENTAL. This DVD is authorised for retail sale for private home use only" I mean you could expect to have to watch ads on a rental copy.

It gets worse as it happens when you first play the DVD, not the movie so you have to fast forward through the ads. It was advertising the ladykillers etc.

bastards!

13. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

Yep, these have been going around a while. What's worse is that many are unskippable, so you have to watch every fucking time you want to watch a movie! It's dispicable. You've already purchased one of their products, but they force you to watch their adverts just to use it!

14. vslayer Registered Senior Member

its times like these i am glad i do not own any legitimate softaware/videos/music at all

15. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

they are skippable if you edit the DVD and make another copy of the edited copy

16. vslayer Registered Senior Member

i cant afforda DVD burner at the moment, when i get a job i will be able to do that

17. The Singularity The last thing you'll ever see Registered Senior Member

There are ways of skipping it ... depending on what media player you use to watch the DVD. Like when I watch a DVD movie, I use Intervideo WinDVD player and on the side of the tracker is the option to skip right to the root menu ... skipping all the ads prior to the selection screen.

I'm sure there is a similar option on other media players.

18. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

doesn't help if the ads are put on the same track as the actual film

19. The Singularity The last thing you'll ever see Registered Senior Member

Well if they are on the same track as the film ... than they should be as skippable than if you were wacthing a movie on a video cassette. It doesn't make much sense if you can't skip it if you choose not to watch it.

But than again ... I never saw a DVD with the ads directly integrated into the actual track of the movie. All the ones I've seen have the ads separate from the track and are easily skippable if needed.

20. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Should we really be forced to skip adds on a product we purchased? Isn't that the question?

21. Blindman Valued Senior Member

My My.. Check the source of your DVD.. DVD's for rental can have ad's, and rightly so. Most of the rental DVD's are leased and returned to be destroyed after several months on the shelves. If you have been unlucky and purchased a DVD that was meant for rental then write to the distributer and ask for a private copy for home use only. You should be able to get a copy that does not have ad's or gives you the power to skip ad's.

Remember you don't own the movie just the right to view the movie. With this right comes conditions, if you don't like it then don't watch them.

Without advertising how would you ever know about the other great productions out there. Without advertising the free market that gives you all these great products would not function and we would still be in the dark ages.

Advertisement, a small price to pay (your time) for the marvelous technology we all have at our finger tips. Thank god for ad's...

22. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

We don't need adds on DVDs because we are not stupid. We know what is out there.

23. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

thank's to the filesharing gods ads can go and f*** themselves
    with all their ceos and presidents

p.s. I got rid of my tv and radio in 1998
    most internet ads are being blocked by software
    spam filters take care of my email

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.