Worms created by Microsoft?

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Overdose, Jul 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Overdose From the steppes of Mongolia Registered Senior Member

Ok, a little break from wars and politics...
    I am sure many of you noticed that Google was giving an error 27 and not searching correctly yesterday. The worm which attacked Yahoo, Google and a few other search engines caused this problem. The interesting thing is whoever made this attack didnt include msn search in to its victims list.
    I think Microsft itself can be behind all these... What do you think?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. The Singularity The last thing you'll ever see Registered Senior Member

It could be that Microsoft is behind it (unlikely though) ... but it could also be an outside source who wants to make it look like the viruses are the work of Microsoft so that the public will turn against Microsoft and run the company to the ground.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

run microsoft into the ground? that won't happen any time soon!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

Perhaps Microsoft strives for world domination? Or the culprit just thought it was too easy to hack microsoft products...or he did not care...

8. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

More likely someone rigged up something on a server and it got spidered. Since google attempts to cache content, the likelihood is that the method it uses to cache is what caused the problem.

[Edit]
    Actually more reading into it suggests that the Mydoom.O variant worm was sent to peoples e-mail addresses and triggered by them running it.

I've had multiple ones in the past like this that claim to be from the domain name of my e-mail address (Which I have known was fake since it was my domain, and nobodies' above me on it).

It's suggested that the take down of the search engines was from the multiple instances of the viruses on peoples machines scanning their systems both locally and on the search engines for e-mail addresses. I would guess Microsofts Search engine would have been left out since it's still in development.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.