Starcraft Problem!!

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by 420Joey, Jul 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 420Joey SF's Incontestable Pimp Valued Senior Member

I'm experiencing so much latency in Starcraft that it is very difficult to play by myself and nearly impossible to play with my brother. We both run on cable on a network.. (his comp is the host)

I don't have anything thats not default running.. There is no spyware/adware or anything running in the bg.

My firewall is Zonealarm & I exit it before playing starcraft.. I have no other firewall.

I'm connected WLAN.

And When I make starcraft games the latency is too high for others too join. But I appear to have 1g on chatrooms and such...

Does anybody know what's wrong, it's bothering the hell out of me....

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Closet Philosopher Off to Laurentian University Registered Senior Member

I have been having similar problems. About a quarter of the people that want to join have the wrong latency. I have DSL. Try playing with your brother over battle.net instead of the local network. ti worked better like that when we have LAN parties at my friends' houses. For SC only, online works better. With anything else, the network works

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

When I setup a local area network version of SC there was a couple of things to checkout.

Firstly, Make sure your both running the same Version number.
    (You can actually install the Broodwar expansion pack on both systems, then run the starcraft disk on one system and Broodwar on the other, just select Original Starcraft Multiplayer, this can be done rather than No-CD cracks)

Decide what type of network connection you want to use, if your using TCP/IP then make sure your systems are communicating with NETBIOS, no firewalls.

If that fails, just install IPX onto the network, it shouldn't take too long.

If your still having network failures then the suggestion is to check you have no network firewall blocking the ports and even check that your cables not twisted.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. 420Joey SF's Incontestable Pimp Valued Senior Member

I'm talking about in Battle.Net I lag. My brothers comp is the host to our cable network.

8. Closet Philosopher Off to Laurentian University Registered Senior Member

I see. You shouldn't lag in B.net

Are you using a copy of the game? If you are then the illegal copy should be causing problems. It might just be the fact that you are sharing a connection on B.net.

I have had problems connecting with friends fo to latency problems. It is quite common. Try reconnecting until you both have an average latency and then attempt to join up.

9. 420Joey SF's Incontestable Pimp Valued Senior Member

No It's not an illegeal copy. Me and my brother have both purchased the game. We have different serial keys. I'm not just having latency programs, the lag is so much I am barely able to play.

I Think it has something to do with the network.. I just don't know what.. everything else works perfect and really fast...

10. 420Joey SF's Incontestable Pimp Valued Senior Member

Sigh.. anyone need a sc registration key.. I have no use for it

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. Fenris Wolf Banned Banned

Assuming your brother has no lag when he plays at the same time as you...

Are you connected to a hub or router, or do you have the two pc's connected via crossover?

12. vslayer Registered Senior Member

why do you people say Bnet has no lag, it have a 1000mbps network vs a 56k modem, the network is slightly faster

13. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

The question of how your internal network is connected is a good one.

After you say you have a LAN, but how does your LAN connect to the internet. Do you have one machine acting as gateway and sharing the connection, or are you using a Router to seperate your connections via NAT.

(NAT Routers distinguish the difference between the computers connected by the LAN cards MAC address usually. When using one IP address with two machines, a command could be sent to one machine thats suppose to be for another and in other networking layouts it causes "Data collision" which will be seen as a form of lag.)

14. Fenris Wolf Banned Banned

Pretty much what I was getting at, but it appears the lad's lost interest.

Ah, the youth of today - no stamina. Throw it away if it don't work.

I'll take that cd key, if you're offering.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.